GUE Fundies tuition?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deadbilly

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi folks-

My apologies if this has been answered before. I'll gladly take a link elsewhere on the forum. I'm interested in taking GUE's fundamentals at some point down the road and I'm trying to get a hold on about how much it runs. GUE's website seems to have just a "registration fee" listed, but no info about actual course costs. Is that a per instructor thing?

Also, as far as equipment, is it required to have all one's own gear? Or does that also vary by instructor? I'm interested in the learnin' there is to be had, but can't be sure that that particular gear setup is the one for me until I've had the learnin' you know?

'preciate it.

The tuition is indeed determined by the instructor, and it can vary, but $500 per student seems to be a reasonable ballpark.

Some instructors have equipment that they can loan, especially if you're just missing one or two items.

As for not being sure about the equipment, that's definitely understandable. Your profile lists you as being in California. There are sizable communities of DIR divers in both Norcal and Socal areas, I'd recommend checking out the regional subforums for the area closest to you and getting to know some of the divers there - many of are eager to talk DIR and diving and are happy to let you try out their spare gear.

Safe diving!

It's a $75 registration fee. The course fee can range from $650 - $750.

I took my GUE Fundies a few months ago with Bob Sherwood and he had equipment to loan if the students did not have a long hose, BP/W, regs, tanks, SMB, bolt snaps, he had it all. I would assume that is the same for the other instructors but like Gombessa mentioned check with your regional subforum near you.

It's a fantastic class, and regardless of whether you pass, fail or get a provisional, you will be a safer and more precise diver coming out of the class. It will be the best money you've ever spent for a class to date. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

My Fundies class that I'm currently in the middle of taking is $500 +$75 registration fee. There are other things to also keep in mind that will add to the cost...

- Equipment: if you can't borrow, you might have to buy
- Boat Charters: Sometimes check out dives for the class will involve getting on a boat or hopping on to a ferry to Catalina, as is often done in LA. This also means that the students together have to cover the costs for the instructor.
- Gas: paying for air or nitrox for you and the instructor
- Food: I think most students will cover food costs for the instructor, but I'm not sure
- Lodging for the instructor if they're out of town...airfare too, if applicable

All those extra costs were things I had to consider when deciding which instructor to take my Fundies class with. I really wanted to fly Bob out to LA to take it with him, but logistically the extra costs of having to get him out here and finding him a place to stay just didn't seem feasible. So I'm instead taking the class with Marc Hall down in San Diego (very happy with my decision!). I'm currently in between weekends in the course....and am looking forward to finishing. Definitely a worthwhile class!

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom