GUE Fundamentals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just wondered what this gue stuff is doing on a new / considering diving section - backlate, wings, valve procedures helicopter turnes etc
To me new / consider in should pretty well end at ow cert

Just wondered what this gue stuff is doing on a new / considering diving section - backlate, wings, valve procedures helicopter turnes etc
To me new / consider in should pretty well end at ow cert
Some open water students are taught in BP/W and are also taught backfinning/helicopter turns in open water (but very few).

I wish I took fundies right after my open water class. In my opinion, finning techniques, trim, proper weighting all belong in open water. Now I don't teach backfinning/helicopter turns unless I get an exceptional student or I become an exceptional instructor (which I currently am not).

Some open water students are taught in BP/W and are also taught backfinning/helicopter turns in open water (but very few).

I wish I took fundies right after my open water class. ...
HI Kosta,

I saw from your profile that you got a rec pass, which surprised me because I remember on a past post, you being a big advocate of teaching O/W students in trim ... I think I said I did some of my O/W drills with RAID on my knees and you were surprised.

What was the feedback that you needed to do extra to get a teck pass? Will you go back to get a teck pass?

I did fundies in Mar 2019 ... but in Sydney ( a long way from my hometown Perth) I haven't been able to get back and have a second go for many reasons, the majority COVID related, but I have also found good instructors (outside of GUE). I was scheduled to go to Philippines and have another go, next week, but had to cancel because I just tested positive. I'd like to do it, but there are alot of of other competing diving goals as well.

I watched a You-Tube interview with Gideon Liew, talking about the lack of cross over in GUE and he said something along the lines of, if you can get through Fundies and you have other technical and/or instructor experience you can progress quite quickly through GUE. This statement surprised me, as I wouldn't have thought that was the case looking from outside, I mean having to do Cave 1 & 2 before sidemount for example.

HI Kosta,

I saw from your profile that you got a rec pass, which surprised me because I remember on a past post, you being a big advocate of teaching O/W students in trim ... I think I said I did some of my O/W drills with RAID on my knees and you were surprised.

What was the feedback that you needed to do extra to get a teck pass? Will you go back to get a teck pass?

I did fundies in Mar 2019 ... but in Sydney ( a long way from my hometown Perth) I haven't been able to get back and have a second go for many reasons, the majority COVID related, but I have also found good instructors (outside of GUE). I was scheduled to go to Philippines and have another go, next week, but had to cancel because I just tested positive. I'd like to do it, but there are alot of of other competing diving goals as well.

I watched a You-Tube interview with Gideon Liew, talking about the lack of cross over in GUE and he said something along the lines of, if you can get through Fundies and you have other technical and/or instructor experience you can progress quite quickly through GUE. This statement surprised me, as I wouldn't have thought that was the case looking from outside, I mean having to do Cave 1 & 2 before sidemount for example.
I missed one dive on Saturday (dive 4) due to a leaking zipper. Sunday I borrowed a dry suit that fit surprising well for off the shelf.

But I had tweaked my back prior to the course and it flared up big time on Sunday. I just couldn't work through the pain to do better.

There's more but I need to run.

A couple of notes, if you don't mind :)
1 - many people are NOT interested in crossing over, so they may take fundies and stop there
2 - the people most interested in crossing over are instructors. Given that they dive a lot, for them it is actually easy, except for sidemount and CCR. However, the discussion get complicated here... If you want I can dig a bit more
3 - cross over is actually possible, but you need to find an instructor evaluator

What he probably meant was: if you take your skills and experience with you while doing Fundies and further, you will only have to learn the specific GUE procedures. Diving is diving, no matter if it's GUE or something else.

You have to do all the training courses to proceed however, no shortcuts. Coming from a non technical background, you will probably need some more time.

AJ:
What he probably meant was: if you take your skills and experience with you while doing Fundies and further, you will only have to learn the specific GUE procedures. Diving is diving, no matter if it's GUE or something else.

You have to do all the training courses to proceed however, no shortcuts. Coming from a non technical background, you will probably need some more time.
yes this is more in line with what he said. I probably editorialised too much

1:03:30 to 1:06:30

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom