DIR- GUE GUE fundamentals, tec pass?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You don't need Tech 1/Tech 2 buddies to prepare for Tech 1. Do lots of minimum deco ascents and practice your fundamentals skills until they are solid in midwater with only your team for reference (to ease into this, shoot a SMB, tie it off somewhere on the bottom, ascend on the line to 6m, clip a double ender into the line for reference and do your V and S-drills there) and T1 will be a breeze. And don't forget to practice the rescue technique.

The depth? 130’ vs 150’ max on the training dives for t1

So the max depth is 170' but training is only allowed to do 150'?

“but AJ, I don’t wanna take t1! The jump is too big!”

what jump?

The jump from 100' to 170'. If you are going by the book before T1, you should not be going below 100' anyway.

So the max depth is 170' but training is only allowed to do 150'?

The jump from 100' to 170'. If you are going by the book before T1, you should not be going below 100' anyway.
Pretty darn sure the training dives are limited to 150’ for t1. If not by written standard then de facto by the instructors teaching it.

But even if it wasn’t... so 5 aisles at your grocery store? If you aren’t mentally ready for tech diving.... don’t tech dive.

In my (and my very own) honest opinion - what you describe here is just you discovering you need to improve fundamental skills

And some instructor used this opportunity to take thousands of dollars from this person rather than saying “hey friend, you need to polish your fundamental skills before learning to tech dive”.

unethical at best. Predatory at worst.

Pretty darn sure the training dives are limited to 150’ for t1. If not by written standard then de facto by the instructors teaching it.

But even if it wasn’t... so 5 aisles at your grocery store? If you aren’t mentally ready for tech diving.... don’t tech dive.
Totally agree with what you are saying there. However, I took tech 1 a year ago, we did two experience dives to 51m on the 5th and 6th day. Having said that I still think rec 3 shouldn't exist as a course, people who can't achieve a tech pass rating should have nothing to do with decompression diving.

The marketing for REC 3 is powerful, no doubt about it. Hell, I have thought about taking it just because at the time (a few years away from diving), I second-guessed my abilities. With that said, what @PfcAJ said is spot on—having a community of like-minded or qualified Tech 1/Cave 1 divers is key to your success in acquiring a tech pass in fundies and also practicing before your T1/C1 class. We have one gaining traction in the midwest if you are located in our area? I'd be happy to add you to our GUE FB and Google groups.

Edit: I see you are in Brazil, I'm sure there are a few communities out that way. I would recommend finding them and see if you could tag along on a few dives.

I like to believe Rec3 was created with honorable intent to give an option for a specific subset of divers who have no intentions of ever going deeper than 130' but want to maximize their time, use trimix, and have minimal deco options to increase safety. And that's the issue, it sounds great and all from a basic recreational divers POV, in reality It just seems pointless and like a big waste of time and money.
o_O

The limit is 170ft (51m) and I certainly try to get my students to 170ft on any tech 1 class I run (dictated by weather, boat availability and logistics)

Thanks
John

The limit is 170ft (51m) and I certainly try to get my students to 170ft on any tech 1 class I run (dictated by weather, boat availability and logistics)

Thanks
John
Good to hear! More experience with a good instructor is always better!

I never understood this "hate" for the REC3. To me it is simple a course useful for:
- people who want to refine their skills AND don't have the possibility to practice a lot with buddies (for instance because there are not many divers in their area)
- people who are not interested in going deeper than 130ft/40m
- people who want to go gradually (I would not, but really, what is the problem if they want to and they can afford it?)

Not many people belong to these two categories, sure. But I cannot see any problem frankly speaking...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom