DIR- GUE GUE fundamentals, tec pass?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RLima

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm starting to pursue a technical diving training and one possibility is to migrate to GUE.

With GUE I would have to start with a GUE fundamentals class and it appears that I could try to get either the rec pass or the tec pass (with doubles).

I wonder if it would be a good idea to try the tec pass with doubles considering I've never dove with it.

IMHO, GUE has a doubles primer that I would highly recommend before starting in the class, never having dove doubles before. However, you could also learn from a buddy who has gone through the course and has the equipment if you are trying to save on costs. Or, you could do it via a single tank, get the fundamentals down on that system and then apply for a doubles primer and a tec pass upgrade later on depending on your instructor. Nevertheless, with all things GUE—I would recommend you research the instructor in your area, and then send them an email with your questions and concerns.

First of all, I want to say that your idea of taking the Fundamentals course is a great one. Even if you decide to later take classes out of the GUE path, you will have an excellent foundation on which to build your skills.

Whether to take the course on doubles or not is difficult to say. It will add some complexities, such as having to perform a valve drill, but it might be worthwhile. Besides, even if you don't pass on your first try, you will probably get a "provisional" mark, meaning you can practice and try again to do the skills that were found lacking.

Here in Brazil, there are two GUE instructors that I know of that regularly teach classes: Sérgio Rhein Schirato, who I believe lives in São Paulo, and Ricardo Constantino, who is actually Portuguese and spends part of his time here and part abroad. They have been both giving lectures and organising discussions with the Brazilian GUE community these past few months. I am sure they would be happy to discuss with you the best approach for your progression.

I took my Fundies recently and it was also my first encounter with doubles (and a can light). I think compared to a dry suit, getting used to doubles was not really a particular challenge. Overall I ended with a rec pass, and I’m pretty sure that my buoyancy and trim in single tank wouldn’t have been any better. What I’ve gained however is instruction on the twinset which will allow me to then train with it with some buddies to upgrade to tec pass should I ever decide I want it, without paying for additional primer :). Go twinset!

It is hard to get a tech pass on your first go. In my class, all three of us had Advanced Nitrox/Deco Procedures or PADI Tec45, two of us had cave training, and two were recreational instructors. We probably had 1200+ dives between us, we've all done 100+ dives in doubles, and use the same gear in our daily dives. We all ended up with rec passes and are working on practice/refinements for upgrades.

It's definitely a great performance-oriented goal to have, but it's also important to acknowledge that a tech pass is a very high bar to meet and the class itself is physically, mentally, and emotionally demanding.

Whichever level you achieve, you will definitely come out as an improved diver on the other side of the class.

It is hard to get a tech pass on your first go. In my class, all three of us had Advanced Nitrox/Deco Procedures or PADI Tec45, two of us had cave training, and two were recreational instructors. We probably had 1200+ dives between us, we've all done 100+ dives in doubles, and use the same gear in our daily dives. We all ended up with rec passes and are working on practice/refinements for upgrades.

It's definitely a great performance-oriented goal to have, but it's also important to acknowledge that a tech pass is a very high bar to meet and the class itself is physically, mentally, and emotionally demanding.

Whichever level you achieve, you will definitely come out as an improved diver on the other side of the class.
Thanks for the heads up. What would you say is the hardest part to achieve the tech pass? Or in other words, what held you and your buddies back from getting it?

Thanks for the heads up. What would you say is the hardest part to achieve the tech pass? Or in other words, what held you and your buddies back from getting it?

• The buddy who was closest to a tech pass (just a hair under the wire) needed slightly more control of her kicks. She earned a full rec pass at the end of the original class
  • My second buddy just needed an extra day of practice to nail some procedures and upgraded from prov to rec during an upgrade session the next week.
  • I struggled more than either of them because I had gear issues that needed to be diagnosed during class and a solution attempted. (A) My drysuit was not a great fit for my body and I couldn't adequately shift/dump air from my legs to control my balance, and (B) I needed a heavier pair of fins. With a better-fitting rental suit and rush-delivery fins, I upgraded from prov to rec in Part 1 but didn't attempt Part 2 that day.

We all had slightly different issues, but the common denominator was the level of control we could demonstrate while performing skills according to the standard procedures. A tech pass diver needs to have exquisite, unwavering control at all times, which includes during heavy task-loading. Fundies classes will get you about four days in the water to practice according to the GUE way, but many people need more time and practice to internalize everything and begin performing.

You can try for a tech pass, sure no problem! All you have to do to get one is have the proper gear and perform the same fundamental skills, just to a higher degree than is needed for a rec pass. It's basically the same class and the same things, you just have to get an A instead of a B or C so to speak. No reason to not try for an A right off the bat. If you try for an A and get a B instead, that's no big deal either. You just work on refining your skills and then go back for a "tech pass upgrade", which is not another full class but really just a checkout to see if your skills now can warrant an A.

I have not taken fundamentals but as someone who started diving doubles in the last few months I can say it takes several dives to start to get the hang of it. I had to start with doubles, do a few dives, then gradually start adding skills and equipment to get comfortable. A rule of thumb I read on SB and has served me well is No more than one major mod to equipment or two minor mods on each dive.

first time I dove doubles I felt like a drunk turtle, definitely would not want to do that in a class where you are performing multiple skills on each dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom