GUE-F gear choice: all-in on Halcyon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think there might be a little misunderstanding. I'm not talking about the Traveler Pro system that's built around a Nylon backplate (or a CF backplate for the Adventure Pro system). The products I'm talking about are stand alone wings: Eclipse or Traveler Pro. It seems that the only difference between these two stand alone wings is that the Eclipse requires a STA to be used with any kind of BP for single tanks, while the Traveler Pro has four slots allowing the use of a single tank without any additional STA (those being already built in the long / standard BPs), though it's still possible to use one to benefit from a weighted STA.

Regarding the BP, I'm not really sure because the kind of dives I'm planning to do is very diverse but I'll probably go for a stainless steel one first and I'll still be able to buy a second BP if I really need a very lightweight system for long travel and/or dives with very thin wetsuits.

So I suppose that if 40lb is enough for doubles, I could use a 20lb wing for single tank diving? Or is the 30lb wing better?

I'm still not sure about taking the course in doubles. I've never used those so it might be a little bit challenging to learn doubles + drysuit + all the fundamentals skills. I'm quite confident about my ability to learn, but that still represents a lot of new skills. Should I take it in doubles, I'd certainly buy an Evolve 40lb wing so.

There is an easy answer to your questions: don't buy, rent. Maybe the rental price is reduced during fundamentals, ask Marc.

If you don't buy, you'll have the possibility to try different equipment under the supervision of your instructor during the course, being almost sure that everything is set properly. You may also discover that doubles are not hard or, on the contrary, realize that they are not for you. You may learn many other things.

It's your choice in the end, but keep this option in mind.

This thread made me check the prices of H in France. Conlusion: crazy non-sense:)

I think there might be a little misunderstanding. I'm not talking about the Traveler Pro system that's built around a Nylon backplate (or a CF backplate for the Adventure Pro system). The products I'm talking about are stand alone wings: Eclipse or Traveler Pro. It seems that the only difference between these two stand alone wings is that the Eclipse requires a STA to be used with any kind of BP for single tanks, while the Traveler Pro has four slots allowing the use of a single tank without any additional STA (those being already built in the long / standard BPs), though it's still possible to use one to benefit from a weighted STA...

Aah, ok, so you just want the wing, which it says is an Eclipse wing ("choose your Eclipse wing"), with 4 slots built in for a camband.

Yes, I thought you wanted the nylon bp that comes with the Traveler Pro system. CF is a step up from that, at least.

...I'll probably go for a stainless steel one first...

Good choice.

So I suppose that if 40lb is enough for doubles, I could use a 20lb wing for single tank diving? Or is the 30lb wing better?

For singles diving in warm water, a 20lb wing would be sufficient. For dry suit use, 30lbs is probably the minimum and 40lbs is what I use. Your rig should be able to float by itself so choosing between 30 and 40lbs depends on whether you put your required weight on your rig or split it between the rig and a weight belt. I need ~24 lbs weight (lead inside the Halcyon ACB pouches + trim weight + SS backplate) with a steel tank (~9lbs), so the 30lb wing wouldn't be enough for me to put all the weight on the rig.

A 40lb Evolve wing is what I use with SS BP and double HP100s and I regularly use it with 1 or 2 deco/stage cylinders. The reason you don't need twice the capacity of a single wing on a doubles wing is that the negative buoyancy of the second tank and manifold reduce the amount of weight you need.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom