GUE/DIR BP/W question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tac747

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello all,
I have been considering a GUE/ DIR course to improve my diving. My question is, I dive a Dive Rite Transpac. Since it does not have a metal backplate could it still be used for DIR or do I need to change to something that has a metal backplate like a DR transplate. Thanks for any information you can provide

Backplate System: A rigid and flat platform, of metal construction with minimal padding, held to a diver by one continuous piece of nylon webbing. This webbing should be adjustable through the plate and should use a buckle to secure the system at the waist. A crotch strap attached to the lower end of this platform and looped through the waistband would prevent the system from riding up a diver's back. A knife should be secured to the waist on the left webbing tab. This webbing should support five D-rings; the first should be placed at the left hip, the second should be placed in line with a diver's right collarbone, the third should be placed in line with the diver's left collarbone, the fourth and fifth should be affixed to the crotch strap to use while scootering or towing/stowing gear. The harness below the diver's arms should have small restrictive bands to allow for the placement of reserve light powered by three in-line c-cell batteries (where necessary). The system should retain a minimalist approach with no unnecessary components.

GUE Fundamentals | Global Underwater Explorers

You need to switch to a BP Wing Transpac has buckles that interrupt the webbing
Hello all,
I have been considering a GUE/ DIR course to improve my diving. My question is, I dive a Dive Rite Transpac. Since it does not have a metal backplate could it still be used for DIR or do I need to change to something that has a metal backplate like a DR transplate. Thanks for any information you can provide

For GUE fundie, transpac is a no go. A metal backplate with transplate harness is a no go either. The bp/w must contain a metal plate and a one piece continious webbing. AFAIK, UTD essential of rec is an alternative that let you use transpac type of comfort harness, but you don't get a c-card with this

Assuming you've picked a course to take and possibly already registered, then talk to your perspective instructor. They can make recommendations as what you need to have and what would be nice to have. My instructor rented me a HID canister light because I couldn't decide on what to buy. Your instructor may have BP&W to rent for the course. Although, it's really nice to have your rig fit under the watchful eye of your instructor.

Also, you can buy a used backplate and harness for under $100 if you're ok with aluminum. The wing is a lot more expensive, and that should transfer from your transplate unless you're currently doing something like using a doubles wing for singles diving....

You may consider doing a few more dives with your current configuration
and be amazed by how more proficient you will become, through practice

Eelnora. Thanks for the suggestion of UTD essential of rec. As far as the c-card goes that does not matter. I wanted the course for the skills. Maybe I will go that way instead because due to shoulder injuries i do not think i could easily get out of a harness that does not adjust at the shoulder straps. I want to thank everyone for the feed back. Safe diving
Tac

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom