GUE/DIR BP/W question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eelnora. Thanks for the suggestion of UTD essential of rec. As far as the c-card goes that does not matter. I wanted the course for the skills. Maybe I will go that way instead because due to shoulder injuries i do not think i could easily get out of a harness that does not adjust at the shoulder straps. I want to thank everyone for the feed back. Safe diving
Tac

When the straps are adjusted properly you do not really need to do any twisting or turning of your shoulder, they just slide off. Especially if you do not dive drysuit, but even with a drysuit you just need to carefully clear the exhaust valve.
I would highly recommend to try it. The straps should not be tight. You may find it very easy to don and doff. Just do not rush.

buy the scynch system and use Tri-glides to lock the "tight" side of the BP straps and then you can use the synch to get out of it quckly and with out twisting your arms.

A one piece webbing is not a must but a recommendation. If you are not able to get out of your harness (dump kit) within 20 seconds you should consider quick releases. It's of no use having a one piece harness and you can't get out of. All rebreathers have one quick release on the harness.

A well-adjusted one-piece harness just isn't that difficult to get out of ... I've been diving one for years with a shoulder that's gotten progressively worse to the point where I decided to give up even trying to dive doubles ... but I've never had trouble getting into or out of my harness, even in the water.

You should be able to "chicken-wing" to get the harness off ... sliding your hand under the shoulder strap and moving it in front of you until your elbow clears the harness. If you can't do that easily, then the shoulder straps are too tight ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Is that the case for people with shoulder injuries as well? I simply don't have any experience with such.

While I haven't needed something like the cinch system myself, I *could* see it being useful if a properly fitted harness wasn't working for you. I do agree, though, it's certainly easier and cheaper to FIRST have a GUE (or similar) instructor fit the harness before considering equipment solutions.

I wouldn't bother. People that come to me with the cinch system end up with me putting triglides on it to lock it into place. The solution is to fit the harness properly. A properly fitted harness should allow you to get out of it without struggling.

I have a bit of shoulder problem post surgery - not much, but a bit. I probably wouldn't need the cinch system, but I like being able to lengthen the left shoulder strap by a few inches before slipping out of the harness.

I use triglides to "lock" the shortest length of the shoulder strap, so I always get them exactly right. I also switched out the left hip D-ring assembly for a standard one - made clipping/unclipping much easier.

So I guess I have about 1/2 a cinch, and still found it to be a good deal for ~$100 with new webbing.

However, I have found some tanks where the bottom bolt now is not long enough for the wing nut to get full purchase. And the included extension of course makes the bolt too long in those cases. So it's not all rainbows and unicorns :wink:

Henrik

I have some pretty stiff shoulders with poor mobility, and I can get out of a harness. I used to think I couldn't, but it was due to it needing a proper adjustment. I had a TransPac & a TransPlate at one point...I've since sold both. I use one AL backplate & harness for every dive. All I do is swap wing for single tanks or doubles. It's both less expensive and better because everything is always in the same place (muscle memory).

I recently got a Halcyon with the quick cinch thingys (technical term). I love it. I can easily adjust it from wetsuit to drysuit and back. All my dive friends joke that I'm going to the dark side. Everyone is right that the downside is the $$$$, but for me it was worth it.

Last edited:
That's a big plus for that Infinity cinch system, in my mind. There are weekends when I dive a drysuit one day and a 3mm the next.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom