GUE/DIR as cult

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lawman once bubbled...
two distinct kinds of people..those who play with words and those that play with things.
at a more basic level:

there are those who give, those who receive and those who destroy.

So far, from what I have seen... you neither give nor receive.

"There are two types of people in this world. Those who think everyone can be divided into as little as two subcatagories, and those who know better."

Your metaphor was not lost on this engineer but i don't believe for a minute you intended it to not have a significant troll quotient attached with it.

Cult by one definition is: excessive admiration of a person or thing. Excessive is a rather subjective term which when used in this thread the way you did, will find a wide range of opinions. But i think you knew that and trolled the thread with that in mind.

With that said, and using the above definition of cult, i think a reasonable person could define the GUE/DIR group as a cult. But a reasonable person would also realize that it is not a cult in any bad connotation of the term. All religons in the world could be considered cults but IMO most religons are not inherently bad things. Certain zealots, within any religon, twisting words to push their own agendas, ala bin laden, define what can be bad in this area.

Just like any other group, certain proponents of the DIR philosophy can be fanatical but why would it be any different than any other group, passionately following what they believe in.
I don't always agree with these people but IMO no one in their right mind could say what GUE/DIR is doing to the dive industry is making it less safe. Therefore even if you define them as a cult, it's not a bad thing.

But as i recall you never said GUE/DIR was a bad thing, only questioned if it was a cult. Nice psyche ops, but you'll get farther on this board, if you want to, if your a little less trollian with your posts.:wink:

Spectre once bubbled...
"There are two types of people in this world. Those who think everyone can be divided into as little as two subcatagories, and those who know better."
Nope! "There are three kinds of people in the world, those who can count, and those who can't."

Roak

never mind. I'll just let it die. It's less painful that way.

Lawman. Are you really a lawyer? Did you loose a big case? Can you find somewhere else to spew your crap. There are alot of topics we can talk about that are actually beneficial!! Oh, and in case your ego is swelling over all the people who have been following this thread, I read the first couple of pages, then the last, you didn't draw me in the way you hoped. Do you kick dogs for fun??
Jeff

Sorry-I was away from the board for a few days. I am glad you laid out the GUE finances as you did...I would be interested in knowing what their annual budget is, and % earned vs. contributed...but anyway...

I was not trying to accuse anyone of anything...I am the CEO of a non-profit, believe me, I KNOW there is usual little or no surplus (especailly htese days-I have $288K to raise before 12/31 to balance my books!)

My "perception is reality" statement was not meant to represent MY beliefs-I have seen the "conflict of interest" bogeyman many times on the board. What I do in my business, at least, is fight the idea that we pay our expenses through earned income streams with an aggressive flow of information. When you go to the GUE web site, it takes clicks to the "Mission" page to find out what they are about, and the fact they are a non-profit is not obvious. This is NOT a criticism at ALL!! Just an observation. I do not have our Mission obvious on our web site either, for marketing reasons.

It has been my experience that the average bear does not know what a non-profit really is (BTW to all-there is no difference between "non-profit" and "not for profit"-they are interchangeable)

Ken

I am curious as to why you did start this thread. To actually see how many nerves you could hit ? To see if people really read your 1st post ( I know you didn't say GUE was a cult, you simply asked people to look at the similarities) ?......And you have been posting on this board long enough to have a fairly general idea as to the responses you might get. I would guess ypu being a lawyer it was simply a mind game you were trying to play.....:boom:

ps nope sorry about the prom, but my dance card is full..........

Back
Top Bottom