GUE/DIR as cult

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I lack mallability, irratability, mobility,and social ability.
However, I do like to dive.:D

Lawman once bubbled...
I lack mallability, irratability, mobility,and social ability.
However, I do like to dive.:D
Good to see everyone kept their sense of humor..

Lawman

I believe you have gotten the posts you have received not because the GUE/DIR folks are hostile but because of your poor char traits and attitude. I don’t think there are many who I would say that I dislike or wouldn’t dive with but you are one person I don’t think I would care to be around. Why? you may ask do I say this. Look at your posts they are often very crude or inflammatory. I have taken a moment to collect some of your post to show as an example

“At the risk of being a troll, it appears to me that GUE/DIR has the makings of a diving cult. There's the uniform that sets members apart, a doctrine of superiority over other training methods, and a charismatic leader [JJ] that preaches the true faith to believers. doctor:”

As to this thread and your topic, here is a post about your thoughts of DIR/GUE

“This is strange...Everyone seems to have a view on this DUE and DIR stuff and til I got on this board I'd never heard of either.
It sounds like some kind of diving cult where a bunch of diving
Taliban want everyone to dress up like cave divers and follow some party line. Is this doctrine or whatever it is relavant to ordinary Cozumel-Gilboa rec divers?”

Yes your are trolling and you have not only call them a cult but also likened them to terrorists that attack and kill the blameless with out care or thought. I would call that a bit hostile. You attack then try to play like your just looking for info and opinions.
Lets look at some of your other posts as to your attitude towards diving and training.

"There's too much focus on initial training. That's what everyone is talking about. Granted the Instructor is most important in that initial training period. Believe it or not, this isn't brain surgery."
"I got certified thru PADI because it was the closest dive shop. I think the training was adaquate to get me under water safely."
"My first ocean dive we got to the reef and our briefing was "here we are, jump in". I did and my weight belt fell off [pear shaped body] then our 'group' not buddies wound up out of air 100 yds from the boat."
"Having watched 50% of my Mares Quattros sink in 100'
of cold Lake Huron water I replaced them with Atomic
split fins. '
"Like so many of the threads on the board we always seem to wind up with instructors bemoaning the poor quality training that they see in the industry. This is probably true. Still, the point I'm trying to make is that diving is an industry. It's selling products whether training, equiptment, or travel. Our training doesn't uniformly have to be at the highest levels because diving isn't uniformly dangerous "
"Of course it's dangerous. Anything can kill you underwater. Equiptment, the unforseen, a failure of your own body. But that danger is part of why we dive. We like the thrill and hearing other people say " Boy, I sure wouldn't do that!"

Who would want to dive with you. You can see by your posts that you don’t think training is important and your lost equiptment and OOA experience show this.

Lets look at some of your other responses that I think are nothing but hatefull and cause turmoil.

"I love this! Ranting and raving about whether America is the center of the world...Of course it is! Nobody said it would last forever. Empires come and empires go. Right now, we're the big cheese and I'm enjoying it. As for the writer from England[ thats the island where Great Britain used to be] I'll bet it is bitter to be left with Admirals, bands and the Royals."
"Golly Clive I'd hate to piss off the world with my bad attitude."
"Lets see....I graduated from Airborne School in the Army...I'm a SCUBA diver, I had Infantry training....I really like fish...I've got a short haircut...I wear a size 48 coat and a size 5 hat...HEY! I'm a SEAL!!"
"What a bunch of crap! All of these outfits exist to recruit 17 year old bullet sponges. You don't win wars with people because they get A+ in gym class. The US wins wars with little dim bulbs like Audie Murphy that turn into stone killers when given a chance. The rest is just military showbuisness."
"We must do something right. You're writing in English and not
German."
"I have good news for you ladies who are bothered by guys trying to help you. Wait a few years. I guarentee they won't bother you. They probably won't even look at you. I'm sure you'll feel much better then."

Lawman at 62 I would think you could be a bit more mature and caring, as for a lawyer I would think your skills at debating and presentation are poor at best. I hope your clients didn't unjustly suffer due to your poor skills. If you truly have question or earnest comments please post- ask away so we can all learn. But please leave your anger and resentment some place else.

Geek

Lawman - did you really post all of that nasty crap?

If so, I take back my earlier post.

Geez.

Especially the crack about the "ladies". That sucks. Someday we'll ALL be nobody's prize physically, but what about your mind and personality? If this is all true, you're going to lose out in those categories too. Hmmmph.

nitroxbabe once bubbled...
Lawman - did you really post all of that nasty crap?
If so, I take back my earlier post.

Just to prove that we all have a sense of humor here...let me state that this is not funny...it's downright hysterical.

King Kong Matt once bubbled...

Just to prove that we all have a sense of humor here...let me state that this is not funny...it's downright hysterical.

...however I somehow have the feeling that your intent was not to make me glad.

What's the problem now? Or should I just take my ball and go home?

GeekDiver...nice shooting, but the target was roadkill anyway.

Does this mean you won't go to the prom with me this year?;-0

The most difficult part of participating on a board like this is that you have two distinct kinds of people..those who play with words and those that play with things. I play with words. Thats what I find fun. To compare GUE to a cult is a metaphor...it isn't met to be taken literally. The group that manipulates things like techs and engineers tend to be very literal. Metaphor, irony, humorous
juxtaposition are lost on them. Because they read literally what isn't met to be literal they are constantly being insulted where no insult was meant. So they insult back. This board is supposed to be fun. If I wanted to insult someone I wouldn't come here to do it.Try to read things in context. Try to look past the surface to what is meant and the spirit in which it is offered.

Back
Top Bottom