GUE approved BP/wing and harness, fins for small woman?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tracydr

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
North Carolina, 3 miles from South Carolina
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm finally ready to retire my ancient BC. I've had it with the shifting, lack of lumbar support and basically, lack of function.
As I replace gear, I'm trying to make sure that I get only GUE approved gear, since I plan to take some GUE classes sometime in the next year or two.
For most of my diving, will be using a drysuit (trilam). I used 24 pounds ( 22 would have probably been better) last week on Catalina while doing my drysuit certification. (PADI)
There will still be some tropical dives and summertime lake dives with 80 degree water, where I will wear a 3ml wetsuit and 6 pounds of weight.
As for fins, I currently use a split fin ( I know, I know) and its and XS/S size. The fins are way too big with wetsuit booties, still a bit large with my drysuit (built-in boots). I'm worried that finding fins that fit may be a challenge.
im 5" 1 1/2", I have NO waist. I weigh about 145 but could stand to lose 15-20 pounds to be at my military ideal weight, although most people don't think I look heavy now. I have a "sporty" physique with broad shoulders and muscular thighs.
suggestions?

Dive Rite plate works well for smaller divers as the shoulder slots are closer together.
DSS plate works well for single tanks as you can mount the plate higher on the tank.
Others have a "small" plate.

Tracy -- a couple of comments:

a. As far as I know, GUE does not "approve" of any particular brand -- the gear itself is either compliant or it is not.

b. A Backplate and Wing with a continuous harness ("Hogarthian" rig -- NTEC -- DIR -- whatever you want to call it) from any of the many manufacturers will work. Since you are small, you will probably want to look at "small" plates. I think Halcyon has a new plate out that might work quite well for you -- but a Deep Sea Supply Medium or Small should work just fine also. My wife, who is quite small (despite what she says about herself) crosses the straps behind her neck on her DSS Medium plate -- this keeps the shoulder straps from sliding off her shoulders.

c. My wife has several different blade fins that are "GUE Compliant" but the ones she likes the best are a pair of Dive Rite fins -- longer blade, smaller foot pocket. She absolutely swears by, instead of at, them. If you are switching between a dry suit and a wet suit, you may well end up with two sets of fins (or perhaps a LOT more! -- just ask TSandM).

It sounds as though you should be able to get away with a single stainless steel backplate for all your diving applications, given the weights you list. The Halcyon small plate is very nice, because the shoulder slots are closer together, but the plate has no camband slots, so you have to use an STA with it. DSS makes small plates, and I have their small Kydex plate, but for me, at 5'4", it's actually a bit short. Depending on whether you are long-waisted or not, a small plate might work for you, or you might be fine in a medium. GUE requires the plate to made of a single material, and they do not like plastic/Kydex. They obviously like Halcyon, but DSS gear works fine, and the HOG setups are compliant as well. Be careful about buying a plate and wing from different companies, because they are not all compatible.

You need a fairly short corrugated hose with a simple inflator, and no bungies on the wing. Around 30 lbs of lift is good for a single tank (less is okay for warm water/low weight) and 40 to 60 for doubles, depending on the tanks you are using.

If you are having trouble finding a fin with a really small foot pocket, try medium Jets. I have a size 7 foot and I can only use mediums with thin wetsuit booties. You will have a VERY small blade with that fin, though. I do, as Peter says, really like the Dive Rite EXPs, but at the moment, I can't remember what size I have and I'm out of town working.

One fin that may work for you is a pair of the old regular size US divers rockets. I have a pair you can have for $25 plus shipping. Straps are in good shape and aftermarket springs are available. They were marketed as a one size fits all but that is only if you had tiny feet. I wear size 8 mens tennis shoes and these are way too small for me. I'd guess a womens 5 or 6 with a 5mm boot would fit well. And hey for this price if they don't work you can turn around and sell them to somebody and get your money back.

Dive Rite plate works well for smaller divers as the shoulder slots are closer together.
DSS plate works well for single tanks as you can mount the plate higher on the tank.
Others have a "small" plate.

Respectfully, I disagree that dive rite plate is good for small diver. DR plate if anything is on the big side, specifically wide side. Since it is wide, it does feel long, but it is. It is wider than OMS and Halcyon. Small DR is shorter than H, but wider. For OP, I will suggest a small DSS or small halcyon. Halcyon plate has narrower shoulder of all the plate I have own.

And don't worry about brand, just make sure the requirements are met. It is best totalk to your instructors. You may be surprised how different people think of GUE requirement vs what GUE actually require.

It sounds as though you should be able to get away with a single stainless steel backplate for all your diving applications, given the weights you list. The Halcyon small plate is very nice, because the shoulder slots are closer together, but the plate has no camband slots, so you have to use an STA with it. DSS makes small plates, and I have their small Kydex plate, but for me, at 5'4", it's actually a bit short. Depending on whether you are long-waisted or not, a small plate might work for you, or you might be fine in a medium. GUE requires the plate to made of a single material, and they do not like plastic/Kydex. They obviously like Halcyon, but DSS gear works fine, and the HOG setups are compliant as well. Be careful about buying a plate and wing from different companies, because they are not all compatible.

You need a fairly short corrugated hose with a simple inflator, and no bungies on the wing. Around 30 lbs of lift is good for a single tank (less is okay for warm water/low weight) and 40 to 60 for doubles, depending on the tanks you are using.

If you are having trouble finding a fin with a really small foot pocket, try medium Jets. I have a size 7 foot and I can only use mediums with thin wetsuit booties. You will have a VERY small blade with that fin, though. I do, as Peter says, really like the Dive Rite EXPs, but at the moment, I can't remember what size I have and I'm out of town working.

This is great information.
i am shorter than you and no-waisted. I mean, those western style Kippy's belts? They hit me in the ribs when seated on my hips, lol!
my feet are a 6 1/2 wide and the drysuit doesn't have real bulky booties. I'll check out both the fins you have.
Is there a book, with pics? I looked at the website but not sure which book would be useful. I can't use the PDF download with my MAC, at least I don't think I can.
I'll start shopping the Internet.

Maybe I have been using old models of the Dive Rite but the ones I had fitted the Middle school kids I taught better than my Halcyon or OMS specifically because the shoulders were narrower.....the plates are a good 10 plus years old.
Crossing the straps also helps.

I'm 5'3 and petite and regularly do some very hardcore diving and spearfishing. I have worn the Halcyon with shorter plate for years. I never thought I would like the hog harness, but have to admit that I will probably not go back to anything else. There is no padding at all on my setup. I don't even have weight pouches because I dive steel tanks. I swear by full foot fins. But that's probably not GUE approved.

I I don't even have weight pouches because I dive steel tanks. I swear by full foot fins. But that's probably not GUE approved.

Full foot not recommended, but steel tanks and a wetsuit/no suit are likely the much bigger issue they'd have:wink:

Back
Top Bottom