GUE (and other non-PADI) Open Water Standards for No-Deco Limits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

“Rule of 130”?

Someone already typed that one up I guess MDL using average depth, where average <60ft
I'm loving it. It seems that GUE has also redefined what an average depth is. It is a very contorted way to plan and execute a dive! Why is assumed that use of a computer mean you are no longer allowed to think or use other dive tools?

cE4ILZo.jpg

I think I’d stick with planning, doing plus fives, tens - write down my few notes on a slate and go with it.

When problems arise, my few lines of notes and the glowing things on my wrist have done all my thinking for me - simple, safe and effective.

Memorize that chart? When a problem comes up????

...W.is assumed that use of a computer mean you are no longer allowed to think or use other dive tools?

I don't think anyone suggest that was the case or any assumption of that sort has been made. But for sure, what OP stated "follow the computer" is not how I was taught 8 years ago.

If you are interested to know the exact up to date standard, I will defer to you their website or may be their instructors.

I would think that today's computers overcome many of the objections listed above.
More importantly, computers don't make the unjustifiable and incorrect assumption that average depth is the determinant of ongassing and offgassing. This is wrong from first principles and useful only in a narrow range around the point of the tangent approximation. But it is not rationally discussable without appearing to be a troll.
Avg depth IS a reasonable determinant of ongassing and offgassing.

Play with it in some deco software. It’s extremely close in all but the most wacky and unrealistic of scenarios, and even then it goes from “extremely close” to “very close”.

Avg depth IS a reasonable determinant of ongassing and offgassing.
Play with it in some deco software. It’s extremely close in all but the most wacky and unrealistic of scenarios, and even then it goes from “extremely close” to “very close”.

I plan a dive to 180 ft for 30 minutes. The average depth is 90 ft. What run time can I use at the average depth to compare the two dives. What's the procedure?

They would have the table memorized and be able to determine MDL (minimum deco limits), as well as emergency deco in case of unplanned MDL violation, on the fly.
Presumbly for one dive per day. What about repetitive diving?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom