guages or console

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Parrotthead

Reaction score
I am in the process of completing my first set of scuba gear. I know what I am getting as far as regs go, and I already have my bc, but I cant decide if I want to get a computer or go with a console. I am really comfortable with the console and I have dove with a computer and it showed no huge benifit to me. I am on a budget but I would invest in a computer if I can decide if as I get into more complicated dives it will become more of a nessesity. any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Save your money and get a wrist mounted depth gauge/bottom timer.

In that case, I might suggest a third alternative. Consider an SPG on your high pressure hose, a bottom timer on your right wrist and a compass on you left wrist. You can add a backup bottom timer if you like, which is worn on your left wrist in front of the compass.

Pros:

Instead of reaching for a console, you have your most of your information (direction and bottom time) right in front of you. Your remaining gas can be easily accessed.

When the pin in our SPG starts to go (they all do eventually), you will notice the tiny stream of bubbles from the SPG. Burying the gauge in a console hides the bubbles.

IMHO, its easier to navigate because you have the compass right in front of you.

You can shorten the length of your high pressure hose because you don't need to get the console out in front in order to navigate. This reduces the risk of entanglement and increases streamlining.

Cost. A bottom timer goes for about $120.00. A compass is about $70.00. An SPG is about $89.00. A computer is far more expensive. Even worse, you'll still need the compass and, unless you buy an air integrated computer (which really increases the cost), you'll need an SPG.

If you decide that you want a computer down the road, you can buy a wrist mount, such as a Mosquito or a Stinger, without having to change your entire rig.

Cons:

Your information is not in one place anymore.

You must actually learn the tables or the wheel. You should also carry a table or wheel with you in case something happens and you need to recalculate.

Its easier to forget a piece of gear.

Some people have claimed that their equipment was damaged while lobstering. I don't lobster, so I can't really speak to this issue.

If you don't like wrist mounted gear, go with the console. IMHO, a computer is the last thing that you need, particularly when you're on a budget.

Computers can increase bottom time versus the tables because they constantly account for changes in depth. Computers can also decrease situational awareness and promote dependency on a piece of gear that can fail.

IMHO, I'd skip the computer and spend the money on better gear.

NEW gave good advice except the bubble thing. You will still see bubbles coming from the console but I think he was trying to explain that you will not see the origin of the bubbles without pulling the SPG from the console.

Parrotthead once bubbled...
I get into more complicated dives it will become more of a nessesity. any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
If you are doing simple, single level dives a computer will not be of any great benefit. However, if you are doing multilevel dives, they can greatly increase your bottom time. This seems to become more important if you are paying good money for that bottom time. The Wrist mount compass and bottom timer with a clipped pressure gauge, usually accompanies the suggestion that you take a dir-fundamentals class wherein you are usually taught to do multilevel dives without a computer. I would look at that advice as a package. The equipment recommendation should be packaged with the class recommendation. Since you spend about the same money for a computer as for the dir-f class, the real question is; would you prefer the training or the computer? :)

On a budget, well then console mounted basic guages are the least expensive way to go. However consider the following; For navigation, a wrist mounted compass is easier to use and the cost is nearly the same as console mounted. For wrist mounted I would go with Suunto. They have the best and most forgiving wrist mounted I have seen on the market. For the price a Mares M1 computer is about the best value out there, and in the wrist mounted version it is easier to use during a dive.

In Canada the M1 retails to about $350.00. Living in Michigan, the short drive to Canada coupled with the 1.5 to 1 exchange rate makes this unit very affordable at about $235.00 US. I have been using the M1 for the last year, for all my Air and Nitrox dives, logging about 160 dives on the unit with no problems at all. The feature I liked most and the reason I purchased it, was that night light. Sounds odd, night light, but I can turn on the light and leave it on the entire dive. I uses the same lighting system that Timex Indiglo watches use which is very very bright, and has a large easy to read display.

(Sounds like an advertisment for Mares,,, not intended)

The only draw back is the buttons require more pressure than I would like in order to activate them.

Of course don't forget the SPG, when chosing one, try to keep in mind future upgrades, like adding on a second computer, or depth guage and bottom timer. Again Suunto is modular and easily adds a computer or depth guage without replacing the housing of the original SPG.

This is only a suggestion of course, and I'm sure other divers on this board will have suggestions that differ. Bottom line is take them all into account and try to select one that fits your current dive needs, your future dive aspirations if possible, and your budget.

Above all, Dive Safe and Have Fun

Hi,
If you are a PADI diver, you can use the multilevel wheel, but in a multilevel environemnt is better to to use a computer. They are good friends! I have an Aladin Air X from Uwatec since 5 years, and it is my best friends under the water. I got an VR3 for DeltaP, this is for tech diving, and it is a great computer!
If you are an easy diver, with your agency table is good anough, and in this case you can use any gauge (pressure and depth), but once again you can get an inexpensive computer in order to verify you dive level...

I have said this before on other threads in answer to the same question and my answer is still the same. I'm not sure what there is about a computer, depth gauge or compass that makes one believe it should go on the end of a HP hose. It's like a Seseme Street thing "Which one of these things don't go with the other?"

If I wanted to use it for a weapon or to paddle a boat I would put a console on the end of my HP hose but otherwise why bother? You will then be required to have a hose half again as long as it needs to be. Besides the drag it's sloppy and just something else to grab on things.

You should also ask the folks who recommend against a computer how they suggest you do multilevel dives without one. There are ways but as we all know tables were designed to be used with max depth. The instructions on the table, put there by the folks who designed and/or tested the table, explain that. That's what most agencies teach and that's what most know how to do. BTW, I think the agencies lawyers recommended that they follow the directions for table use and teach their students the same.

There are of course other ways though.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

You should also ask the folks who recommend against a computer how they suggest you do multilevel dives without one.

That's easy Mike, we tell them to take a DIR-F class and then we teach them how to do it in the class ;-)

Later

MHK once bubbled...

That's easy Mike, we tell them to take a DIR-F class and then we teach them how to do it in the class ;-)

Later

I guess that was my point.

So a revised answer to the question would be that you shouldn't get a computer if you are going to take a DIRF class. So while taking Dan's advice along with the DIRF would probably be worth while and well worth the money you still have that other $300 plus instructor expenses to plan for in order to benefit from the advice.

This has been a word from our sponsors. And now back to our originally scheduled programming.....

Back
Top Bottom