Grow Your Own Dive Buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My 13 year old son and I got certified in June and have 17 dives together so far, (10 in the keys and 7 in Curacao) My son,daughter and I have fished and snorkeled together since they were about 3 years old. My daughter (who is 15yrs) did not want to dive when we took our course but now she wants to try it so I have her scheduled for a discover diving session. It's great to dive with my son and he is a competent diver but there is a element of responsibility that I don't think is present with a unrelated adult dive buddy. Don't get me wrong I would not treat another buddy differently but since I allowed (our encouraged ) my child to partake in this particular sport it's all the more concerning.
On a brighter note my son has elected to go to marine biology camp for 3 years in a row and loves all kinds of animals so I thought that diving would be a valueble skill. Not to mention that it's something I have wanted to do my whole life and I for the life of me can't figure out why I did not do it sooner!

One nice thing about our chilly Oklahoma winters... the local community college has "Scuba Tuesdays" so it gives us a chance to get wet in a confined area. We can watch what our daughters do and have an idea about how much responsibility to give them at the lakes and ocean.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom