Grow Your Own Dive Buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I grew my own buddy once... but the damn Chia Pet kept ascending before the dive was over. Anyone know how to keep a Chia Pet down?

All kidding aside, have you and your child (or parent) considered what to do in an emergency? The difference in sizes may be a consideration in where and how you dive.
My husband and I each buddy with a daughter, or one of us sits out while the other explores with Kim or Liz. Richard and I usually do the second dive together while our teens kick back and guard the lunchbox. It's a working solution.

I have a dive buddy by marriage. My step-dad who is 60 is my dive buddy :)

ghostdiver1957:
I grew my own buddy once... but the damn Chia Pet kept ascending before the dive was over. Anyone know how to keep a Chia Pet down?

Cinder block and a rope. That's how I do it errrrr used to do, well ummm nevermind!

Trisha:
All kidding aside, have you and your child (or parent) considered what to do in an emergency? The difference in sizes may be a consideration in where and how you dive.

The procedures are the same as with any other dive buddy. However, I trust my kid more than most "pick-up" buddies. I know what he knows. I know what skills he has. I know he knows when to thumb a dive. I know he won't separate from me on a dive. In short, his rearing was not just a random thing. He learned diving and seamanship from a very early age. In fact, in a pinch, I'd trust him at age 14 to take charge of the dive boat.

My son, who is eleven, wants to do a cert. I told him when he is twelve we will let him go through the classes. My only concern is he keeps eyeing up my Xstreams. Kids got good taste. ha

Jim

My 12 yo was certified in August. Only five dives between us since then, now cold weather is here. I dive through the winter, but he is growing so fast I will wait until spring to buy him a cheap wetsuit.

Sure would be great if there was a big hand-me-down chain for wetsuits amongst parents with diving children. Also would be nice if the dive shops rented kid sized wetsuits. I sure wish I had that problem solved for all year diving with my only dive buddy.

I am trying to embed those memories while I still have the chance (they grow up quick). I think him and I will do some rappelling this weekend if the weather permits.

Got three sons, 12,10, & 3.....12 year old got his OW this past summer and Absolutely LOVES DIVING!! So much so, he's coming home for Christmas (lives with the ex) and wants to dive. Man, it's gonna be cold!!

The 10 year old wants to start next summer. Still not real sure he's ready for it though.

My main/primary Dive Buddy is my wife. She got her OW, AOW and nitrox rating this past summer as well. (I've bought her a drysuit for Christmas so she'll be more comfortable underwater).

ItsBruce:
The procedures are the same as with any other dive buddy. However, I trust my kid more than most "pick-up" buddies. I know what he knows. I know what skills he has. I know he knows when to thumb a dive. I know he won't separate from me on a dive. In short, his rearing was not just a random thing. He learned diving and seamanship from a very early age. In fact, in a pinch, I'd trust him at age 14 to take charge of the dive boat.

I tend to agree with you. My oldest is the same way....I'd trust him in a heartbeat.

My son was certified a month ago - he's 14 and already taller than i am :). We've been having a great time. The only problem is that my other son (11) wants to dive - afraid hes going to have to wait for a while though.

He's still got a lot to learn - so have I for that matter, but he's keen to learn and asks the right questions. I'd trust him more than any of the other adults that were on his cert course - or a couple of other courses I've seen pass through our LDS since then as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom