Grow Your Own Dive Buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ItsBruce

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm just curious as to who on SB has grown their own dive buddy. I, for one, did. He is now 14, has an aow plus a couple of specialty courses. He is a good diver and hopes to qualify for dm by the time he is 16!

BTW: the avatar is me on my first dive in 1967. My kid won't let me post his picture.

Congratulations on combining a great extreme sport with father/son bonding. I enjoyed diving for several years (starting at age 16), before dropping out, back in 1981, after getting married, moving & lacking a dive buddy. When my son turned 11 (in the Summer of 2004), he decided to get certified in the Dominican Republic, on an extended vacation. We have taken two classes together and he is now AOW certified. It has worked out great for the both of us and we now include diving in our vacations, as well as making numerous local dives. My problem is containing my enthusiasm, to let him take the lead.

my daughter got certified at 10 y.o.a. and no longer dives. She says it is boring. Yes, she is now on medication (just kidding). She is 12 now and still not interested.

ItsBruce:
I'm just curious as to who on SB has grown their own dive buddy.
My dad did, back in 1971, and I am forever grateful.

I'm working on my daughter. She's 10, and is a MUCH stronger swimmer than I am. But so far, she's scared by the prospect of breathing under water.

My oldest son is 15 and scheduled for certification class in March. That's one of the things that prompted me to get back to diving after quite a few years off. I'm looking forward to diving with him.

My 13 year old son also wants to, but he's nervous about the swimming test. He swims just fine; took lessons and passes the Boy Scout swim test. But mention the words "swim test" and he gets all shook up. 200 yds any stroke is no problem for him, but I won't push him if isn't sure.

So maybe I grew 2 buddies!!

Be careful. When they get bigger they may turn on you.

My dad grew me and I'm getting ready to grow one myself (this summer).
It's a scuba tree.

My son is 15 and a great buddy! I try to do allot with him, we've fished, camped, rode dirt bikes, rode 4 wheelers, and the list goes on. Scuba is the best by far. Now I'm working on my Wife and Daughter! :wink: As soon as warmer weather gets here they are going to do a try Scuba class.:D

I just got certified this past March.

My wife & daughter got certified in September.

Now my son, who just turned 7, keeps asking me;"How many years 'til I can go SCUBA with you dad?"

I don't know who's more anxious, him or me?:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom