Ground lamb kabobs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cinnamon and parsley are more likely to be Moroccan. The Middle Eastern countries often have very similar cooking techniques, just different flavors from the spices.

Ok..... I get it now.... Basically a place where keyboard commandos can say stuff they never would have the brass say to a person in the flesh...

Perhaps, but I would have told the jackwad in person, and backed it up - if needed.

Exactly, and usually political.

Except where the poster was soooooo into himself and his spectacular abilities. Remember that one???

Vv
Cinnamon and parsley are more likely to be Moroccan. The Middle Eastern countries often have very similar cooking techniques, just different flavors from the spices.
Consider looking for Turkish or Persian recipes. The meat is grilled separately from the veg. They use long flat skewers over charcoal. Makes the whole neighborhood smell great!

I was able to find the link to the Ras el Hanout recipe I used with the lamb. I went looking for a spice with that name at the DeKalb Farmers Market. I then learned it's combination of spices.

DeKalb Farmers Market doesn't carry Ras El Hanout. BuHi Farmers Market usually has a brand in stock in the Middle Eastern aisles. I'm sure it can be found in Middle Eastern groceries, but that might mean a trek. A brand that my wife and I prefer and can easily find at Lidl is 1001 Delights (link below is from a German Lidl website, but it's the same product)

Vv
Consider looking for Turkish or Persian recipes. The meat is grilled separately from the veg. They use long flat skewers over charcoal. Makes the whole neighborhood smell great!

My family is Persian, like all first generation immigrants from Iran on my mothers generation.

Veggies should never be on the same skewer as meat, unless they are pre-cooked or inteded to be served near raw. Veggies take longer to cook so you either end up with overcooked meat or under cooked veggies.

Persian cooking is heavy on lemons, sumac, tumeric, and saffron. If you use enough saffron I use the powdered variety it is cheaper, and you don't need to grind it.

Skewering ground meat is an acquired skill and you really need a kabob grill as they can't touch the surface, my uncle can do it and has the grill, but it is a lot easier to just put them in a fish grilling basket. We even do that with other style kabobs, the skewers only come out on special occasions. And the skewers needs to be thicker and made out of metal, IIRC 1/2" for ground meats and barg (thin sliced filet). A bit thinner like 1/4" for chicken and thick beef. This set works well it fits inside my Weber gas grill, and the stand offs keep them off the grill surface. I don't have a link for the thicker ones, those are available at many middle eastern markets.

Welding gloves are helpful for flipping skewers that don't have wooden handles, and they are cheap.

You can also make the basmati rice in a Asian rice cooker, 1 cup to rice to 1.5 cups water. Add and saffron salt before cooking too. I also add a tablespoon of butter for every cup of rice. This isn't the traditional method, but that is a multi step processed designed for housewives to do while their husbands are working.

I seem to remember either ground beef or pork being added in as a fat source. Something like 2 to 1 lamb to the fatty meat. Does that sound right?

I seem to remember either ground beef or pork being added in as a fat source. Something like 2 to 1 lamb to the fatty meat. Does that sound right?
I have not seen the recipe, but my guess is the reasoning is backwards: because ground lamb is fattier (and when cooked, crumblier) than most cuts of pork or beef, adding some lean ground pork or beef may help the mixture to bind and therefore hold its shape when molded around the skewer. (Adding pork would obviously not be a halal solution.) Incidentally, ras el hanout on pork is delicious. :)

I found the recipe. It wasn't a link. It was in the photos of what I ate (or something like that). Thank you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom