Grindstone City Washout..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tractor Tom

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Well, we made a dive on Grindstone City at the very tip of Michigans Thumb. What a poor trip is was. Dave (cldwdiver) myself (Frankenmuth_Tom) Ted (gtxl1200) and Brian (diverbrian) all were in attendance. The weather was overcast and cold with a blustery wind of 10 - 15 knots. Dave and I arrived first, and got to talking with one of the locals to find out that the water was VERY shallow. Then Ted arrived in his new Diesel Pickup (Nice ride Ted) and then Brian. We originally intended to dive first in the marina, and then on the other side, in the bay. I walked into the marina to find NO vis and only about three and a half feet of water. So short meeting ensued, and we decided to walk to the bay on the other side of the finger of land and try that. Ted was in the front, and walked WAY out into the bay there and was only in 4 feet of water. We all got together in a group and decided to try going out into the bay a ways farther and parallel to the breakwater. We dove in 3 1/2 feet of water with vis around 6 feet and fairly warm temps. Worked along the bottom and swam fighting the surge. We dove for 30 minutes or so, all had more than a half a tank of air when we came to the surface on a submerged rock jetty and decided to call it all off. We swam back to the dry jetty and climbed out of the water. Ted and Brian, took a different compass bearing and ended up crossing the dredged channel, but still were in only 5 feet of water.

Dive was over, we had a max depth of seven feet and spent about 35 or 40 minutes in the water. I had a half a tank of air left, but the water was too shallow to really dive in. We saw a couple pieces of railroad iron and a bunch of old grindstones in the shallow water, some were in pieces, some were whole. The entire trip could have been made with a snorkle and saved the price of an air fill. Zebra Mussles were found, but not a lot, no crayfish were seen. Neither were any other fish.

We should have gone to Higgins Lake.

Dive was followed by a bite at the Fireplace Inn on M-25 south of Port Austin, followed by a de-briefing at the Black Forest for Dave, Brian and myself (we lost Ted somewhere on the way back to Frankenmuth). With lots of Oak Stout and Honey Bee Wheat Beer.

Any day you can dive is a good day. But some dive days are better than others. Next meeting is at Gilboa on Saturday, 6 November. Good to see you guys, hope the next dive trip is better. We intend a deep dive at Gilboa, and several shallower dives, as it appears that the GLWC will NOT be diving the mines in November due to Tim getting an "undeserved hit".

We were heading to Frankenmuth. I took the back roads back to my side of the county. Got home in time to Watch Michigan win the game. then sit here and think Darn I finally get a day off and I couldnt get a GOOD dive in. I have two tanks of Nitrox left and no where to go. And I have learned another reason today to call a dive and I think my exact quote was This is Just plain STUPID. I really felt sorry for Brian making the trek all the way there from Sanford and only getting a snorkle dive in. But hey lunch with Friends was good and I guess the beer was good but I must have been watching the game when the meeting at Frankenmuth was planned.

Tom, Thanks for the follow up on the dive with the grindstones. What a bummer but "now we know". If you ever do the St. Clair river south of say Port Huron let me know. I have done it a couple of times (at Marysville and Marine City) and it is a very entertaining place to dive.

Regards, twosheets!

twosheets:
Tom, Thanks for the follow up on the dive with the grindstones. What a bummer but "now we know". If you ever do the St. Clair river south of say Port Huron let me know. I have done it a couple of times (at Marysville and Marine City) and it is a very entertaining place to dive.

Regards, twosheets!
St.Clair river is very good diving in Port Huron, but the current moves fast. You should try diving the river in St.Cair first off the boardwalk. water temp. is 60 degress now.

Why in gods name are you trying to dive the harbor in Grindstone? On a good day you will get only 4 ft in depth. And you need to walk out about 1/2 to 1 mile for depth. This is strictly a departure point to get to some great dives. The only reason to dive in the harbor is to get something you dropped off the boat or untangle the prop... :profile:

You guys didn't go out to the berchy. The remains of a small tug a hundred yards off shore. There is also a small boiler at the end of the jetty next to the channel. More of a snorkle than a dive.

KLJ

GLDiver:
Why in gods name are you trying to dive the harbor in Grindstone? On a good day you will get only 4 ft in depth. And you need to walk out about 1/2 to 1 mile for depth. This is strictly a departure point to get to some great dives. The only reason to dive in the harbor is to get something you dropped off the boat or untangle the prop... :profile:

The answer to that is some yahoo at the dive shop in Flint told us that it was a good place to dive! Guess I know better than listen to them any more....

Seems that I posted about this dive BEFORE we took it, and was looking for comments. Where where you then?????? Could have saved us the drive up there and we could have gone to Higgins Lake for real diving.... THANKS!

Bummer!
Sorry, I didn't see your previous message. Grindstone has good diving but it is strickly by boat. Troy, Albany, Philadelphia, barge, Iron Chief, Morrell (Bow sits in 200ft but deck is about 140) - approx 140 or shallower.
Then for the adventerous - Detroit, City of Detroit, Fred Lee, Morrell (Stern) - approx 150 or deeper
If you are ever going back up check out Chuck's Marine 989 738-2628. He runs a boat and/or knows other charters that may be available.

I've heard there are a couple of large anchors close to shore. I haven't been there yet, though. Maybe next season.

-Ray

Back
Top Bottom