Grey compound on Scubapro A700 inlet (pic)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mears

Registered
Reaction score
I was just in the process of replacing the stock hose on my MK17/A700 setup with a 7' miflex and encountered a grey colored compound that I wasn't expecting. It appears that it isn't strictly a thread sealant, unless it was applied sloppily as it is also present on the inside of the inlet. Anyone know what it is and whether I need to worry about re-applying it?

IMG_0623_zps4d06d204.jpg

I wouldn't worry about reapplying what ever it is, I'd be more curious as to what it actually is. Likely lube of some description assuming it was only on the threads, hard for me to make out in the photo. Personally I'd clean it off and be done with it.

Someone has slathered some silicon grease on the thread. It isn't a thread sealant, you don't need one as the o-ring(s) make the seal.

When silicon grease gets soaked in salt water it gradually dries out leaving a silicon grease/salt residue just like in the picture. A toothbrush and some warm water and elbow grease will shift it. Alternatively a soak in a mild acetic acid solution (5% white vinegar) or, ideally, a turn or two in the ultrasonic bath.

Silicon grease is great used where it is supposed to be, such as lubricating the moving parts inside a regulator, but it cruds up almost everything else and people seem determined to use it everywhere.

It's not silicone it is christolube that was applied to the threads to facilitate removal at the next service. The gray color comes from contact with the chrome plating and is nothing to worry about. Just wipe it off and you'll be good to go.

As CMAN said....Christolube from the hose swivel o ring.
It would be good to re-lube on your new hose.

Last edited:
Christo? Rather a lot of the stuff considering the price of it and the fact it is unnecessary as a lube for this application, silicon would do just as well (if lube is actually required on these threads, which IMO it isn't). If it is christo then the previous service tech drives one of these;

clown_car-1.jpg

Silicon is not considered a nitrox compatible lube. I suspect that is the manufacturer's lube job on a fairly new regulator.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom