Greetings!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheGauv

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey Everyone,

Just thought I'd take a moment to say hello.
Rob's the name. I was just certified via PADI (Open Water Diver) in March of this year... Some awesome diving in Hawaii.

I discovered this forum through net searches on DCS as I was concerned about something that had happened on 2 of my 8 dives whilst on vacation.... Maybe someone can help or direct me to further information as most everything I've read about DCS occurs once surfaced, and mainly in the joints of the appendages... not while underwater and in the muscle mass...

On my 5th, 6th dives, I experienced an aching in my left forearm while underwater, which only intensified once I had surfaced, and then dissapated over the course of the next few hours. Here's a breakdown of events

Certification dives - Conducted March 10 and 12 (Dives 1 through 4)
No issues, amazing experience, instantly addicted to scuba, bought my DC after Dive 4.

Cathedrals off Lanai on the 18th
Max depth: 55ft
Tank Start: 3500 PSI, Tank End: 800 PSI
Underwater time: 53 minutes
Water Conditions: mild current.
Physical Condition: Well rested, well hydrated, no alcohol
Notes:
Near the end of this dive while still underwater, I noticed that my left forearm began to experience a very dull ache in the muscle mass. At first, I thought I had strained it as being a newb, I was using my arms frequently underwater. We did the standard 3 minute decompression at 15', and then surfaced. Once aboard the boat, the ache intensified and spread up into my bicep (Not the joints, just the muscle tissue). Within the hour of the surface interval, the ache had subsided and on to dive #2. In hindsight, this was not my smartest move.

No Name - Surface interval of 55 minutes from Cathedrals
Tank Start: 3300 PSI, Tank End 1100 PSI
Max dept: 62'
Underwater time: 49 minutes
Water Conditions: mild current.
Physical Condition: Hydrated
Notes:
I was purposely trying to use my arms less this time and orient myself with feet alone. About mid-way through the dive, my forearm started to ache, much more intense than on the first dive. I remember thinking maybe it was cramping and massaging it to no avail and just cradeling it while swimming about. Upon surfacing, the ache continued to intensify and then just as quickly as it appeared underwater, dissapeared by the time we hit shore (about an hour and a half boat ride).

The only thing I can think of with these 2 dives is that I wasn't breathing correctly because I was still trying to fine-tune/play with my bouyancy... Could this underwater aching in my forearm have been a form of DCS?

Anyways, weird experieince aside, I had an amazing time in Hawaii and made some pretty great friends along the way. I hope to meet many more who share this love of underwater along my Suba Journey!

Regards,
Rob

Howdy and welcome to Scubaboard. :admingreet:

I think you should post all that on our Medicine forum.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom