Greetings MHK

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MHK once bubbled...
To those of you that have taken the class, and to those of you that have yet to appreciate what we do, our MOST important objective in our class isn't to simply teach the *HOW's* to do something, our MOST important objective is to teach the *WHY's*.. I say often that if someone can not tell you WHY you are doing something, then in my view, you have no business listening to that person..

We can talk all day long about backward kicking, but if we can't tell you WHY it's important then what the hell good is it???

In Roger's case, I think he did a better job trying it then he thinks he did, but at the end of the day it's one tool in a tool box and if a diver's foundation is off it's pretty immaterial if he can backward kick but he can't frog kick..

Hope that helps..

Later
Maybe I spent all that time practicing at the quarry for the wrong reasons then...I find the backwards kick the most useful when having to hold a completely stationary position in the water (watching my buddy do skills, passing wetnotes, or doing skills myself) and when sharing gas (as was mentioned previously - so we don't butt heads). I occasionally back up if I get close to a wreck and I drift too close or the current/surge moves me too close. What are the "why's" that I am missing?

I'm not saying that a bacckward kick isn't useful, trust me I use it every class ;-), what i was trying to point out is that in an order of priority I would much prefer that my students work on the Frog kick, the modified frog and the modified flutter before they spend time working on the backward kick..

In my view, as we noted in class, the *tools* in the tool box need to be prioritized but that isn't to say that at the end of the day you need to ignore the potential to use all the of available tools.

Hope that clears it up.

Later

Mike,

Welcome. I was in the MA DIR-F class, the one with the Highland D-rings (gone). Thanks for the help then and enjoy the conversation.

Eric

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom