Greetings from Phoenix!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dannerama

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I just received my Open Water Certification and can't wait to go on my first diving trip. I often visit family in Bradenton, FL and Anna Maria Island area so if anyone has good recommendations around there for diving I would love to hear about it. I also work in the film industry and am interested in underwater cinematography and hope to pursue that further in the future. Hope to meet many new friends on here and maybe some diving buddies!

Cheers

Hi dannerama and welcome to SB. Congratulations on getting your OW certification! I have only been diving in Florida so far while taking my diving courses but am anxious to gain more experience and dive new sites in the future. Best wishes and safe and happy diving.

Hi, Dannerama!!! I am not too far from you... in Tucson. There are also opportunites for diving closer to home (Lake Pleasant is probably the closest to you). Not quite the same as diving in Florida, but still a good way to keep your skills sharp. If you need a dive buddy, look me up.

Adam

I've not dived there and heard so-so reports, but have you considered Puerto Penasco?

I've not dived there and heard so-so reports, but have you considered Puerto Penasco?

Haven't dived Puerto Penasco, but I HAVE been to San Carlos, and that was pretty good.

Adam

Welcome to ScubaBaord. I've visited nearby Sarasota FL MANY Times over the past seven decades. My impression of the diving there is that one has to go pretty far offshore to see anything although you can dive for shark teeth further south in Venice.

Haven't dived Puerto Penasco, but I HAVE been to San Carlos, and that was pretty good.

Adam
I've seen that on the map--did you shore dive or boat? See any good shells? I found a whole bunch snorkeling and on the beach years ago at Penasco.

I've seen that on the map--did you shore dive or boat? See any good shells? I found a whole bunch snorkeling and on the beach years ago at Penasco.

San Carlos is primarily boat diving. They take you out to a good sized island (Seal Island??!), where you can dive to >100 feet easily. Not many shells, but there are Chocolate Chip Sea Stars (named because they have bumps on them that look like chocolate chips), lots of fish, and sea lions that usually want to play. Give it a try sometime. I think you will like it.

Adam

howdy and welcome from southeast florida....

I'm pretty sure there's only one dive operator there now - Rocky Point Scuba Diving | Certification and Dive Trips

There's at least 4-5 dive operations in San Carlos - it's not a lot further to drive for better diving.

El Mar Diving Center, Your San Carlos Mexico Scuba Diving Center
Mexico | Desert Divers
Gary's Dive Shop - Scuba Diving, Sea of Cortez, San Carlos, Mexico
Dakota Charters

Marina Terra is a resort on the marina - from there you can walk your gear to the dive boat dock area.

Have used both El Mar and Gary's - El Mar is my go to in Phoenix also - twice a year they charter a bus if you don't want to drive down. El Mar keeps a 36' Newton dive boat there all year. It also books separately via it's own website. San Carlos Dive Boats, Scuba Charter, San Carlos Mexico, Sea Of Cortez

I've heard of a decent shore dive - Lalo Cove - El Mar rents tanks. Someone told me Gary's has a map with 1-2 other sites - never seen it.

For shells -
San Francisco Beach, a famous shell beach, is a long, wide sandy beach which is pretty and comfortable enough to spend the day there.

All about San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom