Greetings from Phoenix!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to live in Tucson, now in Tampa. Lake Pleasant is pretty meh -- a murky lake dive -- better than no diving at all, but not much. I was not terribly impressed with Puerto Penasco/Rocky Point. However, one of my favorite dives was out of San Carlos, diving with the seals & sea lions at Seal Island -- lots of them there, and very friendly -- my daughter and I had a mom and her pup swim with us for about 20 minutes, close enough to touch (we didn't) -- great fun. Folks do drive to San Diego for diving from Phoenix (about the same distance as to San Carlos) but I never tried it.

In Florida, Venice Beach dives (closest to Bradenton) are low visibility, finding fossils by touch (I have found a nice Mako tooth). Some days aren't too bad out of Clearwater, but it is an hour out by boat to get 30 - 40' deep, and tends to be poor visibility. There are always the Keys, 5 hours away. I prefer drift dives out of Jupiter/West Palm beach -- not much in the way of corals, but lots of big fish, sharks, goliath grouper, turtles, etc. And there's the famous Blue Heron Bridge shore dive in that neighborhood.

Thank you all for the responses. I was planning on hitting up Rocky Point soon since it's so close and a family friend has a condo out there. I will have to investigate about diving in San Carlos too. But I actually did my certification dives in Lake Pleasant (Very Cold and wasn't too much down there, still fun though). My next trip out to Florida I might just have to make an effort to drive out to the Keys for a dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom