Greetings from North Texas!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You're always welcome to come dive Marine Creek with me when I have anchor work to do! :rofl3:
I don't mind the low-vis that much. I'll even dive for sunglasses in zero-viz (can't see computer against mask vis), fetching them by feel.

But what I do mind, is when an anchor is tangled in 20-other anchors and a steel cable in low-vis. About 1-month ago, I had such a recovery and had to go back up to the boat 5 times, to tell my buddy to either raise the anchor, to remove it from the pile, or lower it because there was a steel cable wrapped around it. That recovery was definitely not worth it.

I don't mind the low-vis that much. I'll even dive for sunglasses in zero-viz (can't see computer against mask vis), fetching them by feel.

But what I do mind, is when an anchor is tangled in 20-other anchors and a steel cable in low-vis. About 1-month ago, I had such a recovery and had to go back up to the boat 5 times, to tell my buddy to either raise the anchor, to remove it from the pile, or lower it because there was a steel cable wrapped around it. That recovery was definitely not worth it.

I hear ya. Yes, there are cables involved, but most of these anchors are 200# and a few of them are ~500#, designed to never move. I have used my knife several times to free myself from fishing line... Its the worst diving lol

These anchor recoveries make me just appreciate low vis situations. After reading a few stories of fishing lines snagging a diver, for some reason thought it was wise to carry a folding Benchmade into the gulf just in case, yep I was cleaning that knife for few nights in a row after salt water did it's thing.

These anchor recoveries make me just appreciate low vis situations. After reading a few stories of fishing lines snagging a diver, for some reason thought it was wise to carry a folding Benchmade into the gulf just in case, yep I was cleaning that knife for few nights in a row after salt water did it's thing.
You brought a Benchmade into salt water? What's next, a Microtech?
Heathens, I tell you. Heathens.

Thank God for SOS pads... our anchors aren't boat anchors lol

I hear ya. Yes, there are cables involved, but most of these anchors are 200# and a few of them are ~500#, designed to never move. I have used my knife several times to free myself from fishing line... Its the worst diving lol
I don't know what ~200# or ~500# means. Not boat anchors? What kind of anchors then?
Benchmade into the gulf
Pricey, but good knives.

I started carrying the 10-inch shears. It deals with boating-ropes like they're made of butter.

20221113_055256.jpg

I don't know what ~200# or ~500# means. Not boat anchors? What kind of anchors then?

Basically, 4 sacks of concrete which serve as anchors for waterski buoys. The vis sucks so bad, if you have to dive for an anchor, I go down the buoy line closest, facing in the direction I will need to go and pray I stay straight while feeling with my hands out in front of me lollll

I hear ya. I grew up surfing and body surfing and always found it weirdly peaceful underwater after being tossed by a wave.

Haha. I can't wait to get in water with more than 5' visibility. Did the OW dives at Scuba Ranch in Terrell and it was just nothing but green :)
You’re going to appreciate every nice dive so much more!

Back
Top Bottom