Greetings from Minnesota!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Floating takes no effort at all. I nearly fell asleep when doing the float for my OW class. The guys, on the other hand, couldn’t float and had to work their butts off treading water.

Remember: fat people are floaty people! 🤣😂
I can't float Marie to save my soul... I am the least buoyant person I know. And I'm chubby. So not sure where that leave me. LOL...

I'm in Colorado now but I used to live in Minnesota and I dove quite a bit near Ironton Minnesota. There are strip mines that are filled up and very very clear because they're very very deep I believe 350 ft with mining equipment left behind. Like it was said before, that thermocline is very extreme I put my hand in it once and it felt like putting my hand into a cooler to get a beer.
As far as getting certified, check out other certification organizations and get to know the instructor before you choose who to learn scuba diving from.

I personally would avoid the shop in Lakeville on the east side of 35.
I personally had some bad experiences with both training and equipment.
I personally do not like their business ethics.
Welcome to scubaboard

I personally would avoid the shop in Lakeville on the east side of 35.
I personally had some bad experiences with both training and equipment.
I personally do not like their business ethics.
Welcome to scubaboard
By not being able to register right away I have been able to take my time and investigate.

I’ve kind of come to the same conclusion lionfish that the Lakeville place might not meet my needs. I don’t think they even have a pool.
Aquaventure is about an hour from me so I’m not sure they will work either. But… if I did all my classroom work online then I’d just have to drive up for the pool stuff. That just might work.

Koho or Barefoot? Any recommendations on instructors a Aquaventure?

A closer option for me is in Eagan. A place called Scuba Center. They have their own pool and you can even pay for practice time in the pool on curtain days. Another thing I liked was they have 2 pool days for training where the Lakeville place only does 1. Comes across as just herding us through. If anyone has any experience with this place I’d love to hear your thoughts.

Also thanks everyone for all the great intel. I looked in that charter barefoot recommended on superior and I had never heard of a livaboard. OMG that sounds like a complete blast!!!! All good stuff guys thanks.

Koho or Barefoot? Any recommendations on instructors a Aquaventure?

A closer option for me is in Eagan. A place called Scuba Center. …

@Kcollins I would say the quality of instructors at Aquaventure and Scuba Center is very good. You can’t go wrong with anyone they will let teach a class, but Ryan and Erik at Aquaventure are who I have experience with and both were great.

Zombie thread. OP hasn't been on the site in 6 months.

Would be nice to hear how his OW went though.

[Edit - Never mind. I didn't read the original post closely enough. See below.]

Zombie thread. OP hasn't been on the site in 6 months.

Would be nice to hear how his OW went though.
He said he wanted to do it this spring. We got 8.5” of snow yesterday, so spring unfortunately has not yet arrived in Minnesota.

Back
Top Bottom