Greetings & a snorkeling question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Greetings to all lover's of the ocean!
I thought this might be the best place to get an answer to my snorkeling questions but I did not want to offend you guys/gals.
Please let me know if you think this messageboard will not like snorkeling questions and where else could I go?
I really only had two questions regarding the purchase of a new snorkel and mask. So many out there, I don't know where to start.

Thanks!
Happy Saturday.

I think you'll find this to be a helpful place, regarless of your question. There is even a non-diving related place for questions and discussions. We are divers, and as such, we (almost all, I think) are snorkelers too, so ask away! And welcome to the board.

Welcome!

We are an easy bunch to get along with and not just divers, but also snorkellers and free divers. I'm sure you will find lots of useful info here if you hang around for a while.

BTW, what are your questions???

Welcome aboard and fire away!:D

Wow, I feel like I know some of you guys/gals already. My sister-in-law is originally from Beaver Dam, WI and my cousins grew up in Rochester, NY. Anyway, with all the different brand names out there concerning masks & snorkels which ones can some of you folks recommend as the better ones for the $$?
I was hoping to purchase a mask & snorkel for maybe around $100 if possible. Just want to get the best for my buck.
Any thoughts would be most appreciated!

Mr. Detail once bubbled...
Wow, I feel like I know some of you guys/gals already. My sister-in-law is originally from Beaver Dam, WI and my cousins grew up in Rochester, NY. Anyway, with all the different brand names out there concerning masks & snorkels which ones can some of you folks recommend as the better ones for the $$?
I was hoping to purchase a mask & snorkel for maybe around $100 if possible. Just want to get the best for my buck.
Any thoughts would be most appreciated!
As far as masks go, the most important thing is fit. The best thing to do is go to a shop that sells masks and try them all on. The one that fits your face best and makes the best seal will be the best one for you. As far as snorkels go, I prefer something simple and cheap. There are a lot of complicated snorkels with various valves, purges, wave stoppers, etc. etc. but I like a standard plain ole' snorkel that is really cheap....they all work basically the same anyway.

Good luck!

I second O-rings suggestion. Try on as many masks as you can. Determine which ones seal well and fit comfortably. If possible, see if your LDS will let you try a couple of the ones you like best out in a pool prior to purchasing.

As far as snorkels go, I bought one of the "bells and whistles" with the flexible tube, the dry purge, anti drainback valve etc.

I used it for my BOW class and it's been in my dive bag ever since. Chances are a cheap snorkel will work just as well. Especially if snorkelling is all you are going to be doing. If you have 3 ft seas, you won't likely be out snorkelling anyway, so how important will all those "extra features" REALLY be?

As several folks have already mentioned, the mask is the most important part of the set. It MUST fit! If you are lucky enough to find several that fit, then look at things like price and peripheral vision.

As for snorkels, look for one that's easy to clear. I might be assuming too much, but I'm guessing you'll be doing a little bit of "breath hold" diving if you see something interesting and want to get a closer look (perhaps pictures). If that's the case, you'll be clearing your snorkel quite often.

Have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom