Greenbo lake scuba area needs help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mullannix930

Contributor
Reaction score
The new dive area at greenbo lake, in NE Kentucky, needs your help. The nonprofit group, Friends of Greenbo Lake State Resort Park, is heading up the project. We are planning a treasure hunt and cookout. The problem is prizes. We have some items, but we need more. If any of you out there have any ideas, please help. This is a beautiful lake, and has great potential.

When is the hunt? Is greenbo now open for diving? Are there any places to get tank fills?I would suggest you start contacting ky dive shops and seeIf they can help get you started. I have done fund raising before And part of the battle is just finding the right person to talk to at a company. I'll talk to the two shops here in Louisville to see if I can find out something.

The event is on October 6th, but diving won't be open till then. It's the fundraiser to get the place ready for next spring. I've emailed every shop I could find, but none have responded good or bad. If you can talk to the ones you are talking about, I would be grateful. If they want to talk to me, PM me and I will give my Number.

Ob the tank fill issue. There is a place in Ashland, but it's not a dive shop. Some of the local Fire departments will fill (if you know someone).

Ill post when we start the registration, it should be in a week.

Send me a PM, I'm not from Kentucky and likely will never dive there but I may be able to help out with a few small HOG items. Mask, wetnotes, etc.

And forget emailing shops to ask for prizes. Call or visit them in person if you can. Makes more of a good impression.

What area is the "SCUBA" section? Are you allowed to dive outside of that area? How big is the area? What is the max depth? Do you guys have platforms?

The dive area is about 10 acres, located Out infront of the lodge. It extends to the edge of the old beach (near the pool). If you look at a map it's the southern part of the lake.

No diving outside the area is permitted.

The max depth is 25-27 feet. We are planning on putting in platforms, but we have to get some money to do it first. The money from the treasure hunt is going to platforms, dock, etc.

Sounds good. Once you post the registration, I will call the lodge and setup a room. This is a nice lake and I am sure it will be a nice dive location. I really like our state parks. One thing that is a big bonus over other sites, is my family can come. Greenbo has a nice lodge, trails, playgrounds, and other resort amenities. I would encourage anyone to visit the KY parks.

On a side note, there is Carter Caves, and two or three other parks very close. It is a nice weekend trip (now with diving :).

They are going to have a room and dive special for the event, I can't remember the price though. They are hoping to put in a zip line next year.

Dove the laketoday, for an inspection of the area. Viz was about 20' above the thermocline and nice and warm (83 deg). Saw several nice Bass, a Catfish, and a turtle. It is going to be a nice place to dive. I just hope we get a good turnout for the hunt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom