Great Whites off San Onofre

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You know, on the topic of whether the whites showing up fairly quickly the next day suggests they (or others) might possibly be prone to head in and 'check out' people (on surf boards, kayaks, etc...), I'm a tad concerned.

A lot of people who swim, surf, bob around or whatever aren't 'shark savy,' and if they saw a 7' Great White swim circles around them (much less whap'em with a tail or something), they would panic, possibly start thrashing around and screaming, etc...

I wonder what this pair of young whites would've done had a surfer started thrashing around a lot?

I know the proneness to prey on humans of white sharks has been grossly exaggerated, but they are pretty much an apex predator (if you ignore orcas), they doubtless do get hungry, and occasionally one kills somebody. If the population is growing drastically, and they're going to be checking people out, it could be a concern. I'm not fishing for paranoia or melodrama; I'd just like to know if thrashing around is apt to make a Great White attack.

Richard.

You know, coming from a surfing family, and having pretty much spent the first 13 years of my life at San Onofre, from what my sister tells me, who still surfs there regularly, not too many of them there that are concerned.

It looks like he was in the south end of the beach, where all of the stand up paddleboarders have to go. That part of the surf beach is only a mile or less from the power plant, so those sharks looked like they might have been in the neighborhood of the surf beach. I don't think that will keep too many people out of the water, though. The surfers have been there for over 60 years now. Not even the first time for a GW and surfer, and I'm not sure I can recall any stories of actual attacks on the surfers by a GW.

an encounter more so than an attack
Beachgoers Warned About Great Whites
And if you go here there have been a fair number of shark sightings in that area.

I'll be diving south of long beach here in a few weeks, and although I believe you are more likely to get hit by lightning then attacked by a great white, it still gives me the creeps knowing those massive prehistoric things are swimming around somewhere near. Yikes.

And on a side note, after talking to our trip organizer, it seems a handful of divers from AZ backed out due to the "shark scare"...

It sure is sad when things like this get blown way beyond proportion, it seems to only affect the tourists, the locals never seem worried and continue to dive / board just as much as always... Sad!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom