Great White

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Swimmer not diver

I am always weary about swimming with wetsuit in open sea where seals and GWS are around. I could be mistaken as a wounded seal, splashing on the surface, like an easy meal for the GWS.

I would have been in a cage today in Guadalupe, Mexico, watching some GWS, had the COVID-19 not becoming a pandemic, causing border closing & trip cancellation.

Did Dan already post?
No, I try to avoid posting threads about non-divers. It's certainly a tragedy and newsworthy.

I saw it and started to post something about it simply because the news was making such a huge deal about it. Understand I am not referring to the lady's death. That is a big deal, but I am talking about the venom spewed forth about the shark just makes my stomach turn. I feel like the public's perception to sharks is just now beginning to turn to the good and the kind of reporting like I have seen concerning this incident is just horrible.

I saw it and started to post something about it simply because the news was making such a huge deal about it. Understand I am not referring to the lady's death. That is a big deal, but I am talking about the venom spewed forth about the shark just makes my stomach turn. I feel like the public's perception to sharks is just now beginning to turn to the good and the kind of reporting like I have seen concerning this incident is just horrible.

I watched all 3 videos linked in this thread so far. I didn't hear any venom about the sharks at all. I thought it was all surprisingly rational. And sad.

I watched all 3 videos linked in this thread so far. I didn't hear any venom about the sharks at all. I thought it was all surprisingly rational. And sad.
You are absolutely correct. The ones here were as well done as you can do with such a tragic event but some of the local news reports on television and in print were atrocious. My apologies as I should have been more detailed in my post.

Check out this incident from my part of the world Shark grabbed boy from boat during fishing trip, authorities say

A 10 year old boy was taken by a great white shark from out of a boat, fortunatley the boy survived, after the farther jumped in to rescue him. Confirmed later to be a 3.8m great white after examination of teath marks left on the life jacket the boy was wearing. Very lucky to have survived.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom