Great White off Seacliff Pier 10/1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:hmmm:

And I look like an overweight seal in my wetsuit.....glad I am not in CA :D.

Wow,

Very interesting that this is occuring around Santa Cruz, one of my English students last quarter was attacked by a Great White Shark while boogie boarding with a group of friends.

He almost lost his leg and has the bite radius imprinted on his leg, he lost so much tissue and muscle. I was amazed at how the bites look after the leg heals, leaves a perfect molding of how big the Jaws are.

He doesn't swim in Santa Cruz anymore and was pretty spooked by the incident when it occured, he was only 15 years old at the time.

Mike G

Wow, I would be pretty spooked too. OK, the thought did cross my mind...what's the distance between Santa Cruz and Monterey...why were only surfers and swimmers warned, not divers?
Because we're not the target? I tell my parents and concerned friends that sharks don't like divers, we don't flail around on the surface looking like seals, we stay low and if we see a shark don't turn and run, we know to give the dang thing space and slowly back away.

Kristina,

Santa Cruz is only about 30+ minutes in driving time to Monterey. I assume divers were not warned because they don't dive Santa Cruz, the water is too murky.

So the only logical guess is to warn bathers and surfers.

When the GW is spotted in the Monterey area, word does go out to warn everyone, including divers.

If you spot a GW while in the water I don't know that there is any protocol, never heard or read any documentation on what to do?

MG

:coolingoff:That is SCARY. I don't care who they like or don't like.. I would DEFINITELY freak out if I saw a great white.

I think there's no protocol to follow because if you spot one chances are you won't survive to advise on what should and shouldn't be done. :paranoid:

The protocol is to stay close to the bottom or a wall/reef if you can until they pass, then get out of the water ASAP. Funny looking divers with all the gear and blowing bubbles aren't on their menu but if you look enough like a seal on the surface, then you might become a case of mistaken identity.

I think there's no protocol to follow because if you spot one chances are you won't survive to advise on what should and shouldn't be done. :paranoid:

Most of the divers who have been hit have survived. In fact, most people who have
been hit have survived.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom