Great White off Seacliff Pier 10/1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:shakehead: I'm sorry, but the video is making me :rofl3: You don't get the "Whoa, dudes!" too much here in SE, Fl.. miss it too.

You're pretty much in their casa, so I imagine you need to have the mindset of going in hugging the bottom if you can, using your reg for bubbles, and hoping for the best. Like Peter C says: "Hopefully, you'll have a camera". Preferrably without flash as I've read it gets them riled up.

Last edited:
I've posted this before, but in case some of you missed it, I think it's a good insight into diving in white shark infested waters. I would venture to guess that anyone with 100 + dives on the California Coast has been pretty close to white sharks whether they saw one or not. Surfers see them more because they patrol the shallow surf areas to feed.

YouTube - Devil's Teeth

Pacific Coast Shark News

Blewgrass - thanks for the video. I really enjoyed it. In fact, I think that gentleman was a guest speaker at the local dive club a while back but maybe I'm mixing him up. I'll have to check out the book I picked up from it to see if it is him.

I really want to go see the Farallon Islands. Me and my uncle always had it on his list to sail around but unfortantly, we never made it. That video sort of made me get the itch again.

Not so much to dive, althought it would be a kick I'm sure, but to see never the less. Oh well, on my bucket list :)

Thanks again - really neat stuff.

I was running charters the weekend when the surfer was attacked in 2007 off Marina beach and I noticed pretty much all of the seal lions were gone from the harbor and breakwater (the day before the attack). An anecdotal observation I know, but it was immediately noticeable/strange that the sea lions were there by the hundreds one week and almost completely gone the next. Not to mention they were all back a couple weeks later. ...well maybe not ALL back :D

Put that in the back of your mind.

next time you notice them missing you should give us a heads up :wink:

I love it when stories from home pop up on here. Reminds me of my 6th grade beach trip - about 10 or so 13 year olds splashing around about 100 yards out (thank you Capitola Junior LifeGuard training!), large fin surfacing near us to shouts of "Wow! Dolphins!". I think we stayed out there for a good 30 minutes before getting too cold and swimming back in. Next day the paper comes out with a "15 Foot Great White Seen off New Brighton Beach". Some dolphin...

Still, having been in the water with them while surfing, kayaking, swimming, and fishing, I have never seen one in the water while diving, and that thought will irk me until it changes. I've also never known anyone to be bitten, which might explain why I'm not entirely afraid of them.

On a related note, if anyone hears of a dumb 22 year old diving being munched on by a shark somewhere between Ventura to Santa Cruz - check to see if I still post :wink: I definitely agree with bbianchi: if someone knows that there are great whites in the area, let us know, because I want to see them!

...........if someone knows that there are great whites in the area, let us know, because I want to see them!

I do too but I do not really want to know if they have bad breath :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom