Great white attack in Australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I saw a show quite a few years ago about the newest thing at the time, the Shark Shield. I wasn't too interested, hadn't seen too many sharks yet, but I was pretty comfortable around the only type that I had seen at the time, the nurse shark. Later in that show, they did independent testing on the Shark Shield and actually found that it attracted MORE interest from sharks, not less.

I saw a show quite a few years ago about the newest thing at the time, the Shark Shield. I wasn't too interested, hadn't seen too many sharks yet, but I was pretty comfortable around the only type that I had seen at the time, the nurse shark. Later in that show, they did independent testing on the Shark Shield and actually found that it attracted MORE interest from sharks, not less.
There has certainly been debate about that, with the company denying it repeatedly.

From another source: What is a Shark Shield?
Sharks are naturally curious animals, and in field testing, researchers have observed that when sharks sense the electrical field created by the Shark Shield, they often swim closer to investigate. This can lead to the idea that the Shark Shield actually attracts sharks; however, when the sharks cross the barrier of the field, their curiosity is typically satisfied, and they leave the area.
Altho it may have failed this time. Was he wearing one?

A good bit of discussion here Great white 'ate anti-shark device' | The Australian including "Nobody wearing a Shark Shield has ever been attacked by a shark," he added.
Great white 'ate anti-shark device'
AN electronic device designed to ward sharks away from surfers failed so spectacularly during a trial off South Africa that it was eaten by a great white.

An inquest heard yesterday the Shark Shield surf model was activated on a float carrying bait when the 3.6m female shark approached. Rather than being deterred by the device, the shark, under the gaze of the Natal Sharks Board, bit into it.

South Australian Deputy State Coroner Tony Schapel yesterday heard of the test failure during the inquest into the death of Jarrod Stehbens, who was taken by a great white shark while diving off Glenelg in South Australia in 2005.

The inquest has turned into a trial of Shark Shield devices, hearing concerns that the electronic fields generated to repel sharks may attract them.

Studying cuttlefish for the University of Adelaide at the time of his death, Stehbens had been provided with two Shark Shields on his dive boat by university staff - but he either didn't know they were there or chose not to use them.

University staff have told Mr Schapel they questioned the Shark Shields' efficacy and believed there might be long-term health risks from using them. As a result, the devices were not compulsory.

Rod Hartley, director of Sea Change Technology, which manufactures the Shark Shields, yesterday took the stand to defend his product.

"There is no doubt whatsoever that it does not attract sharks," he said.

He told Mr Schapel he believed a disgruntled surfer had started the rumour.

"Nobody wearing a Shark Shield has ever been attacked by a shark," he added.

Mr Hartley said the failed South African test on the surf unit - which has been held back from release into the marketplace - was due to a problem with the electrode's configuration. The device was now packaged with a large disclaimer warning it would only repel sharks when the surfer was still in the water waiting for a wave.

"The surf product only can be guaranteed to work when it's stationary, not when it's surfing in the wave or paddling," Mr Hartley said.

CSIRO shark expert Barry Bruce has told the inquest the shark that killed Stehbens was in "full predatory strike" mode and would have been nearly impossible to deter. His body was never recovered.

Mr Schapel will publish his findings at a later date.

I was a good friend of Peter's and dived off his boat last October in Esperance, WA.
He was hookah diving commercially for abalone at the time of the attack.

He was one of the best, most competent & safety concious divers I have ever dived with or knew. He was also one of the nicest & most generous people i ever met.

Great loss to his family,friends, Abalone diving industry & Marine mollusc research.

There will be three memorial services so all his friends in Adelaide, Port Lincoln & Esperance can pay their respects. I'll be there in Adelaide & Port Lincoln.

RIP Peter you will be missed by many & never forgotten.

Hi Sabre. I don't think anyone who knew Peter have started a condolences thread on Passings - ScubaBoard but you certainly can if you would like.

Rod Hartley, director of Sea Change Technology, said in the recent, unrelated inquest: "Nobody wearing a Shark Shield has ever been attacked by a shark." Do you know if Peter was wearing one at the time?

Thanksfor the info Sabre66 and condolences for your loss:consolation:

Take this for what it is worth....Wiki

From

Abalone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Coffin Bay does not appear to be in New South Wales so perhaps you are incorrect. :idk:
I have no

As useual, your knowhow "seems"to come from WIKI.:shakehead:

And no, Coffin bay is NOT in NSW, but neither was the incident.
It was in SA.
Didn't wiki tell.:idk:
:D

I've just returned from vacation and was visiting a friend this morning who told me of Peter's horrific passing. He used to vacation every few years in South Florida, and my friends would take him out on their boat to hunt for shells. Her former spouse is a world-reknowned shell collector, and that's how they were friends with Peter as he too was a world-reknowned shell collector and author. I accompanied them many times when collecting Atlantic Thorny Oysters off Broward County. I am shocked and saddened to hear what happened.

She told me that he used a hookah rig to dive for abalone and would dive several hours daily. He would pry them off the rocks and send them up to the boat with a lift bag, where others would clean them and put the meat on ice and put the shells in a basket to be sold to the button trade. Apparently this work attracted sea lions who would in turn attract the great whites.

He always dove with the electronic shark detterent, one strapped to each leg. However, he had been having problems with one of them keeping a charge and it may have been dead at the time of the attack.

Apparently they searched for him for many days but there has never been a trace found, not him, not his gear. His friend/coworker who watched him be dragged off forever by the sharks is absolutely distraught.

He was a very nice man, and a competent and thoughtful dive buddy. I only pray that his demise was very rapid.

Can you post more updates as the come available? Thanks!

Thank you...I will share this with Peter's friends in Florida.

Back
Top Bottom