Great news for Central Texas Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's a promotional fare. They don't expect to make money. They are trying to promote their business and generate interest. The money comes later when they raise their rates and already have a client base and name for themselves in the area. It's all about getting our attention and word of mouth promotion. Those rates won't last long.

I understand the idea but how much promotion does an airline need? This isn't like a new product. Everyone knows how airline service works. You buy your ticket, get on the plane, fly for a few hours, then get off. This is an industry where a $20 difference in fares between competing airlines is enough to change market share. When Continental is charging $300, I would think a $250 fare would fill the planes.

Those rates seemed to be good at least through August although they do charge slightly more for weekends. I'm not calling for them to raise fares. But with one market in the U.S. I'm a little apprehensive that they could simply declare it isn't going to work out and shut down U.S. operations with no notice and no refunds of your $120 paid. What are you going to be able to do about it?

Since nobody cares about their safety record, what about their customer service record? What is their on-time performance? What is their track record on cancellations? What about lost baggage? What is their history in handling passengers affected by such issues? In other words, who can really say they know anything about this company?

Debra, I can see a hotel offering a deal to an airline selling a package but why would they offer anything to an airline simply transporting passengers who are probably not staying with them?

Well, I certainly appreciate your concern for all of us here in Austin who might be thinking about taking that inexpensive trip to Coz. Just curious though, why is it such a burr under your saddle? Have you had a bad experience with this particular airline?

Since nobody cares about their safety record, what about their customer service record? What is their on-time performance? What is their track record on cancellations? What about lost baggage? What is their history in handling passengers affected by such issues? In other words, who can really say they know anything about this company?

To be honest I don't care much about Coz myself (who needs pretty fishies, colorful corals and clear warm waters).....though this fare price is attractive for those whom do I can imagine. Just 'curious', do you have any stats on the airline in question...it would be a benefit of some sort to the readers who might take the airline up on the cheap fare..??

I read some comments from the Un-american Spacemen (pet name for the Austin paper). One person mentioned that no frills airlines such as these typically nickel and dime you with additional charges for things like carry ons, checked bags, snacks, etc. Even still, you can expect one of these flights to run < $200, which is a heck of a deal.

Also, I've heard that the hotels in Coz are hurting somewhat and are offering some great deals to stay there.

Well, I certainly appreciate your concern for all of us here in Austin who might be thinking about taking that inexpensive trip to Coz. Just curious though, why is it such a burr under your saddle? Have you had a bad experience with this particular airline?

It's not a burr in my saddle, I simply made a short post wondering about their viability and was met by unfounded defensiveness. Call it my civic duty to warn naive consumers who may react to a great price without thinking it through. I mean, it's not like airlines have ever abruptly shut down before and stranded passengers, right?

Also, I've heard that the hotels in Coz are hurting somewhat and are offering some great deals to stay there.

I thought I saw where Cozumel had a record number of tourists last year?

If you go to Expedia and search on hotels only I'm not seeing any particularly special sales or discounts. I stayed last year in Hotel Coz for $119/night including AI, this year it's $168/night for same time period. I'm not seeing any lower prices on packages either.

It's not a burr in my saddle, I simply made a short post wondering about their viability and was met by unfounded defensiveness.

Hmmmm....

Call it my civic duty to warn naive consumers who may react to a great price without thinking it through. I mean, it's not like airlines have ever abruptly shut down before and stranded passengers, right?

Well, we can be opinionated and can lean a bit to the left, but unthinking and naive aren't words I'd use to describe most Central Texans.:shakehead:

Well, we can be opinionated and can lean a bit to the left, but unthinking and naive aren't words I'd use to describe most Central Texans.:shakehead:

Then my advice wasn't for most of you. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom