Great Lakes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know of no operators that take divers to dive sites along the Minnesota northshore. Of the best known wrecks (Wilson, Ely, Madeira, and Hesper) only the Madeira and Hesper can be accessed from shore.
Isle Royale is fantastic, but only one maybe two charters run there. Of the one I know of books early and the cost is high.These are usually 4-5 day trips. The wrecks are world class, the lack of zebra mussels makes these wrecks much more interesting.

Al

Since there is so many different places to dive the lakes, perhaps narrowing it down a bit would help.

How about suggestions to see the old wooden or steam driven wooden ships? Depth of 200 or less.

Tobermory. I don't know where you are in the "Southeast," but it's a straight shot up I-75 to Detroit, then northeast up the Bruce Peninsula.

Here's some info to get you started:

Wreck Diving in Tobermory, Canada - Fathom Five National Marine Park

Scuba dive sites map of ship wrecks in Tobermory

Tobermory Shipwrecks | Tobermory, ON

St Lawrence is really good diving. Def has some current though so be prepared for that. +1 for Osprey. I dive with Mike a few times each summer. He's got a great boat and crew. The dives in Erie can be on the deep side though and IMO all are drysuit dives year round. The bottom temp typically is in the 40s and at the end of summer can get up into the low 50s. The viz though is amazing. The attached pic is from the Crystal Wreck in Lake Erie off of Long Point of the Captains Helm. I think this wreck went down in 1870 or there abouts. This particular wreck is around 110' range.

Attachments

• P8060006.jpg
    P8060006.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 129
Did a weekend of deco training on the Boland, Crystal & Tradewind. Those are some great wrecks to spend some extended time on!

Crystal/Tradewind...if you can get to them and the weather cooperates...two best wrecks in the lake within no deco limits

Did the Boland a few times this year...one the last trip of the year up there..a guy who normally helps on the boat got inside the engine room for the first time. As far as we know he was the first person to penetrate into the engine room since it went down. He had a GoPro but haven't spoke to him since that weekend to see how the footage came out. Ill have to see him next summer when I'm up there.

Crystal/Tradewind...if you can get to them and the weather cooperates...two best wrecks in the lake within no deco limits

Just out of curiosity -- do you do these as no-deco dives? If so, what gas are you using, and what is the bottom time? Note: I am certainly not planning on diving these anytime soon (if ever), but have been looking through some of the Great Lakes diving materials, and thought these were pretty deep for doing these as "recreational" dives.

As far as we know he was the first person to penetrate into the engine room since it went down. He had a GoPro but haven't spoke to him since that weekend to see how the footage came out. Ill have to see him next summer when I'm up there.

He's far from the first person in that engine room. Gary Kozak has that honor back in 1972

He's far from the first person in that engine room. Gary Kozak has that honor back in 1972

I believe he said he got to somewhere right around the gauge cluster. I remember he mentioned the huge gauges he saw but cant remember if he made it to the boilers or not.

Just out of curiosity -- do you do these as no-deco dives? If so, what gas are you using, and what is the bottom time? Note: I am certainly not planning on diving these anytime soon (if ever), but have been looking through some of the Great Lakes diving materials, and thought these were pretty deep for doing these as "recreational" dives.

Yes these are no deco dives. I typically run 28%. I don't really push the limits so usually bottom time is around 12-13 minutes with a nice slow ascent and a 5 minute stop at 15 ft. Total dive time is usually around 22-24 minutes. Theres a few wrecks in the eastern basin of Erie that are shallower but most are on the deeper end of the spectrum and technical side. From what I've seen anything shallower than 90-100' has usually bad viz and if your deeper than 100 its nicer. There are some beautiful wrecks to dive in the lakes and would highly recommend it if you feel its for you. Be prepared its cold (drysuit) all of the time except for maybe the last few weeks of September if you can get out with the weather.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom