Great Lakes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverDownDave

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Doing a little bit of planning for next year. Looking for recommendations for diving in the Great Lakes.
Any suggestions ya'll have on dive sites or operators would be appreciated.

Looking for some deeper dives but isn't a big deal if there are really interesting/historical things to see in shallower waters.

Thanks
David

That is a vast area. Any specific geographical interest? US/Canada preference?

Thunder Bay off Alpena, MI in northern Lake Huron. It's the only NOAA National Marine Sanctuary on the Great Lakes.

Lots of wrecks 60ft or shallower.

Thunder Bay Scuba is a good operator.

throw a dart...
upload_2017-10-2_7-29-33.png

Rhwestfall -
Looking to stay in the US and based on the map would like to see Lake Huron or Michigan.

Thanks

Isle Royale always gets good reviews but it's extremely remote. There are some liveaboards that go there. The Duluth/Two Harbors area has some good dives but only a couple of operators. There is some shore diving. I go there but there are probably places closer to you that are better.

The Straights of Mackinaw under water preserve has lots of really interesting wrecks across a lot of different depths my favorite wrecks being the Cedarville and the Eber Ward. The Thunder Bay preserve is also very nice, my favorite wreck there is the Grecian. There are plenty of good charters for both preserves.

Bummer.... you are excluding a bunch (yeah, it is a huge geographic area)

I'm on the "other end", diving the Eastern basin/south shore of Erie (Osprey Charters) out of Barcelona, as well as crossing the Lake to dive the Long Point area. I also dive the St. Lawrence out of Clayton and Alexandria Bay.

Adding in Canada gives you Kingston & Brockville (Lake Ontario/St. Lawrence), and Tobermory (Lake Huron).....

Lots of good shallow stuff off Chicago/Indiana

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom