Great Blue Hole Belize what was your experience?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SOOOO looking forward to HMC.

And rightfully so.

I've done BAIV multiple times. Their side-by-side beds are one reason.

Half Moon Cay is the other. My first time, as I climbed up the ladder I told Captain Alex "There's no reason to move the boat again".

We did BA3 in Jan2020. My wife and I are in our mid-60s and the novelty of "tech" diving has definitely worn off for us. When we boarded the vessel we decided to wait until we actually moored at the GBH to make our decision about doing the dive. After sitting through the excellent briefing we decided that it was more technical than recreational and we opted out. We did get in the water at GBH however, and we had a good look at the sea life in the shallows. So on our bucket list we have checked the box for GBH with an asterisk because we can honestly respond to the question of "did you dive the GBH?" with "yes". Our BA3 trip was a wonderful experience and we would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone, even if you don't dive the GBH.

I can’t offer an opinion on the site because the one time I went to Belize with my non-diver wife, I couldn’t justify to myself taking a full day dive trip on what was supposed to be together time for us.

My concern is about your attitude toward the dive. It’s a recreational dive and it’s supposed to be fun.

You’re under no obligation to anyone to make any dive you don’t feel good about. If your trepidations about the depth and the dark don’t dissipate, choose a different dive you’ll look forward to and can enjoy with confidence.

Don’t do it just because it’s famous unless you want to do it for your own reasons and your careful self-assessment says you’re capable and ready to do it.

Best wishes,

I think it would be a shame to miss the day that comes with the Blue Hole dive. A visit to an idyllic island, a dive on Halfmoon Bay wall followed by the Aquarium, beautiful way to spend a perfect day.

If I do another trip there I expect I'll do the Blue Hole again but skip the bird sanctuary.

Walk over to the opposite side of the island from the dock. One of my happy places.

I dived it once. It was the first dive after doing an elementary course, there were no grade depth limits then.

Followed the wall down to 30m, dark but not black, saw the start of the stalagmites one large fish and nothing else. We stayed the weekend on Half Moon Cay. The dives around the atoll were much more exciting.

I’ve had the opportunity to dive it 5 or more times since, but not bothered. I’ve even skippered boats out so others could dive it when on Calabash Cay (2 months) then again from Cary Cay (3 months).

I've been in it about a dozen times. I enjoy it more each time.

That said, the reason that I've been on that dive so many times is because it is the first dive in the 3 tank full day trip out to the Atolls from San Pedro. I love Halfmoon Caye Wall and the diving off of Long Caye.

I've tried to talk Amigos into a switch up but the current structure is more popular to the broader market.

Things must be getting pretty grim down there.

If I do another trip there I expect I'll do the Blue Hole again but skip the bird sanctuary.

A person should go once. I've been 3 times but only because my dive buddy friend at the time wanted to go. The last time that happened, I insisted that buddy go on own with others from the boat.

There is no way that I can think of, that would get me there again. One time, I also walked out to the very tip of the island. That was a pretty spot at that time. Who knows how it looks now. Could be magnificent or could be gone from storms and such.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom