Great Blue Hole Belize what was your experience?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've dove the Blue Hole a half dozen times and will do it again if the opportunity presents itself. Every time was a little a different and I enjoyed them all. With the exception of one week, I dove 21% and was never limited on dive time for the second and third dive of that day. Three of the six I went to 150' for the same reason Chilly mentioned, but had discussed it with my dive master prior to the dive.
I would say that you are the only one to determine if you feel comfortable about doing the dive. We've had people stay above the main group, at their comfort level, and that was discussed prior to the dive. We've also had a few that made a dive time decision to stay at/above the rim and wait for the others to return up. The dive, and for sure what the rest of the day has to offer, is a great day! If you have the experience, I would suggest you don't over think it and enjoy the dive.

I have dove it twice, and based on what I have seen, here is a typical way that we dove it. (Both times were on the BA3.)

The night before, there was no night dive. This was to give extra time to off-gas. Our tanks were all emptied of Nitrox and were filled with air. The morning of the dive, they gave a very thorough dive briefing and basically said that while there was no intention to have anyone go into deco, we would be coming very close to our NDLs. We were also warned to be aware of Nitrogen Narcosis since our dive would take up to about 130'.

On the second time I dove it, one of our group did get Nitrogen Narcosis and became fixated on watching there depth, but not doing anything to manage it. the group was at about 125' and this person blew past us dropping like a rock. Two of us chased after them and caught up to them about 140' we had their descent stopped at 149' (the deepest I have ever been). As we started to ascend, they quickly recovered and carried on with the rest of the dive without further incident.

As for what you will see, on the two trips I did there, I didn't see any fish life to speak of in the GBH itself. At around 125-140', it "Bells out" and there are several stalactites hanging from the "bell".

After the GBH dive, there was an option to go to a bird sanctuary, but a couple of us opted for a second very shallow dive. I actually enjoyed this dive more than the dive in the GBH. The reef which surrounds it is (was?) spectacular. If I were to go back, I would dive this reef rather than the GBH, but only because I have done the GBH in the past and it falls into the "Been there. Done that." column. If you have never done it, then IMHO, it is worth doing.

Really not that much to see. It was however my deepest dive ever at 154 ft. Wouldn`t do it again but glad I did just to say I`ve done it. We spent a lot of time off gassing in the shallows around the opening which was very nice. I think my total dive time was in the 50 minute range.

Not that this was exactly your question, but when someone asks, "Is the Blue Hole of Belize worth it?" I like to reply that years ago I, too, asked this question. A wise diver replied, "No, it's not worth it. But you will dive it anyway, and when someone asks you whether it's worth it, you will wisely tell them no, it's not worth it." And they will dive it anyway.

I’m like a lot of other divers on this forum… It was a dive to do once to say I’d done it. There’s really not much to see… stalagmites, drum fish, and great Caribbean reef sharks (my favorite part of the dive). It’s a short very deep dive in terms of NDL dives. Yes I am glad I did it, no I have no need to do it twice. Put me on an aggressor liveaboard and I might, otherwise I’d prefer the 2 dives we did after blue hole.

YesI am glad I did it, no I have no need to do it twice. Put me on an aggressor liveaboard and I might, otherwise I’d prefer the 2 dives we did after blue hole.
The BH thing actually discourages me from doing the Aggressor there again, because IMO it wastes half a day of the trip. (I'm also not a fan of getting off the comfortable air conditioned boat to have a picnic on a hot buggy island instead, in pretty much any location.)

The BH thing actually discourages me from doing the Aggressor there again, because IMO it wastes half a day of the trip. (I'm also not a fan of getting off the comfortable air conditioned boat to have a picnic on a hot buggy island instead, in pretty much any location.)

Really good info on the picnic! I'm not a fan of bugs and malaria either lol

The main thing for me was that from Ambergris it was a long ride there and back. And the wall/reef diving on the atoll was far better than close to Ambergris.

Wow, a BH thread that didn't turn into a free for all between the lovers and the haters.

Cool!

Done it three times. Will gladly do it again if I ever make it that far north.

The good news is that if you do it and hate it, no worries because you'll be back on the boat in no time headed for Half Moon Caye and your two remaining dives will be fantastic.

So either way, you win.

I've done the Belize Blue Hole three times... I did it three times only because I really wanted to do the other two dives on the Blue Hole trip off of Half Moon Caye. I think it is there that the best diving is...

...If you are doing it as a day trip the other two dives are much better....

...On the other hand... the next dive, Halfmoon Cay wall... that was one of the dives of my life. :)...
- K

...They do a three tank day which includes the Blue Hole followed by Half Moon Caye Wall and Long Caye Wall. I enjoyed the other two dives more actually.

Aquarium, halfmooon caye wall keep calling me back, along with a few resident reef sharks that I always see on those afternoons. Not to mention the big blue parrot fish, giant oceanic trigger fish, and those adorable gardens of garden eels.

_R

... Now...the two dives after Bluehole were why we became divers. Insane visability, beautiful coral, more little fish than I've ever seen anywhere...those dives were worth the price.
Trip Report-LONG-Ambergris Caye, Sunbreeze Hotel, Ambergris Divers, Blue Hole, Food
Jay

... I thought the topside aspect was the highlight. Looking out over the Blue Hole and surrounding reef from the top deck of the Aggressor on a sunny clear day was magical and better than the dive itself. The follow up dives we did later that day and the following day at Half Moon Caye and Long Caye is some of the best diving the Caribbean has to offer and made the trip worth it...

...Of course, the reason that I continue to return is because I enjoy the whole Blue Hole dive day. Halfmoon Caye is my happy place. The 2 follow up dives are as good as it gets in the Caribbean!...

Thanks for all your shares. Right now I'm leaning towards just doing the GBH at ow depths but I acknowledge that once on that boat I might end up gazing at the stalactites. SOOOO looking forward to HMC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom