Greasing up DIN threads?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bober99

Contributor
Reaction score
The reg on my 7 thread DIN tanks seems MUCH harder to put on than the 5 thread PST DIN tank I have. I will try some vinegar/water on the threads but I can slap on some silicon grease to make putting on the threads easier or will I get some air poisoning or something? I'm missing the easy yoke screw on. This DIN seems to take forever to put on. Thanks for the input.

Silicon isn't O2 compatible. A thorough cleaning has always been the answer for me when dealing with threaded things that have become hard to turn. Try Simple Green and a toothbrush.

bober99:
The reg on my 7 thread DIN tanks seems MUCH harder to put on than the 5 thread PST DIN tank I have. I will try some vinegar/water on the threads but I can slap on some silicon grease to make putting on the threads easier or will I get some air poisoning or something? I'm missing the easy yoke screw on. This DIN seems to take forever to put on. Thanks for the input.

Depends on how you're using the cylinder. As Jonnythan said, silicone grease isn't O2 compatible ... because it's a petroleum-based product. So if you're using the cylinder for Nitrox ... and the fill station uses partial pressure blending or otherwise exposes your cylinder to nitrox mixes greater than 40% ... you will not want to use silicone grease. There's an O2 compatible lubricant known as Crystolube that you can use in that case.

On the other hand, if all you're using is air ... or premixed nitrox of 40% or less ... then silicone grease is acceptable.

I'd still be careful about using it though ... the stuff collects sand and grit like a magnet. Best idea is to wash it out with Simple Green or a solution of 1 part white vinegar and 3 parts water ... using a toothbrush. Then rinse thoroughly with fresh water.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

jonnythan:
Silicon isn't O2 compatible

How much gas contacts the threads of your valve anyway?

it may be your valve just needs to be cleaned. I've had a few sticky ones lately that are in dire need of getting broken down and cleaned; last one needed a good brass brush scraping to get my reg on.

I use crysto-lube for everything; yes... but that's because we've got a about a 1/2 gallon of the stuff.

But using crystolube for those threads is completely useless as no gas touches them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom