GRAPHENE BATTERIES ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The real next step in batteries is solid state (not liquid electrolyte), these are already in production. The issue is that EVs are going away from the 18650 so it's likely you'll need an entirely new battery arrangement to take advantage.
The step after solid state is changing from lithium to something a lot more common such as sodium. This is at the technology demonstrator state at the moment. Again unlikely to be in the 18650 form factor.
you beat me the message. Toyota is looking at having their solid state battery in cars by 2027 - Toyota’s newest breakthrough could be the ‘kiss of death’ for gas-powered cars — and could hit the market as early as 2027

1695772806224.png

I love how they can predict in the future like that...
They can't get the weather right, and they can predict that something is going to work/happen?

[EVs also leave a much smaller impact on the environment. Just one electric car on the road can save 1.6 tons of pollution annually, while gas-powered vehicles produce, on average, over 10,000 pounds of harmful gases per year.]

I love how the number game works,
These people write such hyped up stories.

I will stipulate to that and just say this: If they are only 11% higher capacity than the current 18650 cells, then I can charge them very quickly to 90% and still have as much range as I have now, and that would be just as good. If they are more than 11% higher capacity, then that is just bonus range.

I don't pretend to understand BMS very well and the balancing it does. Very unclear on why it has to slow the charging down to milliamps for the last 10% or so, and why it would have to slow it down to just as slow for graphene-tech cells.
The battery itself is generally what pushes back on the charger as it closes in on being fully charged
Once the battery reaches acceptance voltage the current that it will draw slows down until the current draw stops changing and remains constant for over an hour, this is an indication that the battery is fully charged
The BMS at its simplest form will monitor the voltages of each pack in a battery for differences and disconnect/eliminate a pack if it senses a pack outside of an acceptable voltage range, thus preventing destruction of the entire battery which leads to fire/damage

This website is mainly geared toward recreational sailboat cruising but it has good explanations on how different battery chemistries work and some good lithium info

Lithium batteries don't suffer from damage when partially charged or left partially discharged so if charging times are a factor for the type of diving you do you can just charge for as long as you need to and use it if using that battery chemistry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom