Grandfather & Grandson Perish in Pool (NDR)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would say that if you ever find yourself in this diving scenario to be especially careful and visually time your entry with the other divers instead of relying on everyone to go exactly with a count.

I feel lucky to have survived 2 collisions involving divers in scuba gear in the Philippines. Luckily, they landed on my chest and legs and not my head.

When entering by a backroll from a boat (90% of my dives are done this way) instead of popping up to the surface immediately, as most divers do because their BC is inflated, do two fin-kicks while on your back and about three feet underwater.

You will then allow adequate space for any following diver(s), and also get clear of the boat.

A trick I learned the hard way, years ago. Has stood to me since.

BTW the posting is a good one. Any post that increases awareness of water safety can do only good.

Heartfelt condolences to the family.

Seadeuce

This story is a good learning tool. I can’t seem to convince my wife how important it is to stay away from other divers while entering/exiting a boat. I’ll forward this story to her, maybe it will do the trick…

My thinking was - it was a collision in water resulting in drowning of 2 people and these kind of collisions can happen to divers. I was in the Philippines last March doing drift dives off these small boats and the divers were all fairly close to each other for a sitting backwards entry. All the divers were supposed to fall backwards into the water at the same time on the count of 3. I went over right on the count of 3, but twice I had a diver land right on top of me because they delayed, only slightly, but it was just enough. It really scared me and made me upset to have these divers land right on top of me, including my own dive buddy who did it the first time. After it happened the second time, I yelled at the diver who landed on top of me. I felt bad about yelling at the diver later and apologized. After the second time, I learned my lesson and instead of going on the count of 3, I watched each diver on either side of me and coordinated my fall into the water with them. I would say that if you ever find yourself in this diving scenario to be especially careful and visually time your entry with the other divers instead of relying on everyone to go exactly with a count.

This pool incident made me realize that it does not take much of a collision to knock someone out and drown especially since it was just a small 6-year old boy without a tank. I feel lucky to have survived 2 collisions involving divers in scuba gear in the Philippines. Luckily, they landed on my chest and legs and not my head.

I'm a little surprised they did it this way. Would be far easier for them to let out a line and then let the divers enter the water more spaced out.

My husband was actually concussed when someone hesitated on the count of three, and rolled a couple of seconds later, as my husband was surfacing.
Sorry to have evoked such sensitivity but I read the post and I just couldn't see the link between a scuba accident and a child and his grandfather playing in a pool. Thanks to those of you who took the time to make this link clear. When I read it, it made no sense being posted here!!!

I'm a little surprised they did it this way. Would be far easier for them to let out a line and then let the divers enter the water more spaced out.
When conditions allow individual entries they're definitely preferred. However, sometimes, when freeboating with current, a simultaneous entry and rapid descent are needed to get to the site. Why one might want to freeboat in current without a downline is another discussion entirely, but there are those occasions... :D
Bottom line: simultaneous backrolls are a great way to hurt someone if not done right (together).
Rick

I swim lapses in the local pool during family swim hours, and have had head bumps with kids not respecting the rules of the pool and swimming opposite the rotation in the lanes. Then when you swim on the side lanes, the kids jump in right in front of you from the ledge. They think you have head lamps and can see them as you swim.

The lifeguards are too busy to keep an eye on them at times, but children often don't understand the safety rules in pools. Makes you wonder if they can be started in diving at the young age that we allow them today.

fisherdvm, I think kids should pick up diving i that case. As I see it, diving has helped my situational-awareness exponentially. Well, this is just my 2 cents worth. Deepest condolences to the family.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom