Grandfather & Grandson Perish in Pool (NDR)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

K_girl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a co-worker and friend in Fresno who recently lost her husband and her 6-year old grandson in a swimming pool accident. They were playing and swimming in their mobile home park pool when my friend went to get snacks for lunch. Her husband was a fitness fanatic, so there was no reason believe there could be any problems. She said she noticed it was unusually quiet as she approached the pool, but thought maybe they were taking a break. When she arrived at the pool, she could see her husband was on the bottom and her grandson was floating on top. She was unable to get through the locked gate as her husband had the key. She tried to climb over the fence, but it was too high for her. She started screaming and a neighbor came out with a key. He pulled the boy out and since my friend was a former nurse, she began CPR on the boy. She said she knew her husband was gone, but she asked her neighbor to please get her husband out while she continued to work on the boy.

As the ambulance took the boy away, she was hoping he could be saved, but she couldn't find a pulse. They told her later at the hospital that both had perished. They also told her that they both had very big lumps on their heads, but she said she did not notice it on the boy. The best they can figure out is that the boy may have jumped from the edge towards his grandfather when he wasn't expecting it. John, the grandfather in this story, had survived a traumatic brain injury when he had been hit by a car while riding his bike back in 1996. He nearly died then due to swelling on the brain and had some kind of surgery.

The funeral service for both was July 30th. Incredibly beautiful and moving service. My friend's son, who was the father of the boy, along with his sister and wife, told us about these two people, and though I had never met them, I felt that I really got to know them. The program had a wonderful picture of the grandfather walking through the woods, his back to the camera walking away with his grandson on his shoulders.

Although I work in Sacramento, we have a branch office in Fresno and I was there last week. My friend came into work on Wed. - I was surprised to see her so soon, not quite 2 weeks after the accident. I asked her to go to lunch with me, but she said she had an appointment, but she said she was also having trouble eating. I can't blame her for coming back to work this soon, I think anyone would need some kind of distraction from so much grief.

Here are the articles on this story:

FresnoBee.com: Local: Man, child drown in Selma pool

FresnoBee.com: Local: Two who drowned may have hit heads

Thats terrible!However many will say that the two are together in a better place.

Why is this story posted on a forum for discussion of diving accidents and incidents? There was no diving involved. Sorry to sound uncaring, but it seems inappropriately placed.

This is a terrible story. A lost life is never good and especially one as young as 6.

Last edited:
Why is this story posted on a forum for discussion of diving accidents and incidents? There was no diving involved. Sorry to sound uncaring, but it seems inappropriately placed.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

I have decided to leave this thread in A&I because it is apparently a case of an entry gone awry, resulting in two deaths. In other words there is a very relevant lesson and reminder here for Scuba divers.

Rick

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

I have decided to leave this thread in A&I because it is apparently a case of an entry gone awry, resulting in two deaths. In other words there is a very relevant lesson and reminder here for Scuba divers.

Rick

I too clicked on this wondering how two people died in a pool session of scuba training.

Might modify the title to indicate it's not dive related. Like:

Grandfather & Grandson Perish in Pool (not dive related).​

Just a suggestion to avoid confusion.

My condolences to friends and family.

. Sorry to sound uncaring, but ......

If you didn't want to sound uncaring then it would have been very easy to have just not posted, but that is only my opinion.

There can be a lesson here for divers. Make sure you know what's below you before jumping in, and stay clear of any divers climbing a ladder back onto the boat.

My thinking was - it was a collision in water resulting in drowning of 2 people and these kind of collisions can happen to divers. I was in the Philippines last March doing drift dives off these small boats and the divers were all fairly close to each other for a sitting backwards entry. All the divers were supposed to fall backwards into the water at the same time on the count of 3. I went over right on the count of 3, but twice I had a diver land right on top of me because they delayed, only slightly, but it was just enough. It really scared me and made me upset to have these divers land right on top of me, including my own dive buddy who did it the first time. After it happened the second time, I yelled at the diver who landed on top of me. I felt bad about yelling at the diver later and apologized. After the second time, I learned my lesson and instead of going on the count of 3, I watched each diver on either side of me and coordinated my fall into the water with them. I would say that if you ever find yourself in this diving scenario to be especially careful and visually time your entry with the other divers instead of relying on everyone to go exactly with a count.

This pool incident made me realize that it does not take much of a collision to knock someone out and drown especially since it was just a small 6-year old boy without a tank. I feel lucky to have survived 2 collisions involving divers in scuba gear in the Philippines. Luckily, they landed on my chest and legs and not my head.

Interesting Kgirl, I was just told a story last week about a guy who did the same thing. He hesitated and ended up smacking his head into a tank valve. Laid him open, luckily it didn't KO him. This story was from an instructor friend who was the one he hit. Valuable lesson here.

Bruce

If you didn't want to sound uncaring then it would have been very easy to have just not posted, but that is only my opinion.

He had a valid question. Please keep in mind this is not the passings forum so no one should feel the need to tip-toe as though they were on a condolences thread. He wondered why the thread was here and what was to be learned from it. His question was answered.

I only make that point as too many of late have forgotten, or simply don't know, the point of this forum.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom