Grand Caymen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Koots

Reaction score
My wife and I are going to Grand Caymen for 5 days in January. We'll probably stay at the Hyatt. Any reco's on what dive shop to use?

When I was down in Grand Caymen I dove with Bob Soto's. They were pretty good. I would Dive with them again. Some friends that go down there quite a bit tell me that all the shops are pretty much the same!:)

Safe Diving!

The on-site operator at the Hyatt is Red Sail Sports. They are the only operation which has shops all around the island so you can get a ive package with them and dive all of the island.

Many operators on that end of the island will pick you at your hotel if you decide to go with someone else.

As Drew said, Red Sails is the on site op for the Hyatt. Although the East End operation of Red Sails tends to take out smaller groups, if you are on one of their other boats, you will more than likely be diving with a crowd. The same with Bob Sotos.
If you'd like to dive with a smaller, more intimate group, just do a search on this board. There are many good one's to choose from that limit the amount of divers that they take out on trips. 8 divers or less per trip. Danny at Off The Wall Divers, Tom at Cayman Marine Lab and, ME, Casey at Neptune's Divers are 3 good one's to choose from... I am a little prejudice towards Neptune's (Hmmmm, wonder why? :)) And we can provide complimentary shuttle service to and from anywhere that you're staying in the 7 Mile Beach area.
Have fun!

I would Highly recomend either Cayman Dive Lodge or Ocean Frontiers on the East Side!

I dove with both in August and they were both very professional and not "cattle cars" like can be said of 'Red Sails'

Tim

PM me if you want details

I would Highly recomend either Cayman Dive Lodge or Ocean Frontiers on the East Side!

I dove with both in August and they were both very professional and not "cattle cars" like can be said of 'Red Sails'

Tim

IMHO... Casey's got it right. The small ops are the way to go. I've gone with Red Baron and think they are great. But my sense is that you can't go wrong with any of Casey's suggestions.

Also, when I've stayed at the Hyatt or Westin, RedSail was always a great option for a quick afternoon one-tank dive ... you can't beat a boat at your hotel's beach for convenience.

But throw out the beachside convenience and get yourself to a small operator's departure site for the morning dives ....you won't be sorry... you'll be first in the water at the best North, West or South sites.

Joe

One option, for convenience sake, is to go with Red Sail, but rather than diving the Hyatt group (cattle boats - as stated) take the ferry to the Red Sail location at Rum Point. That boat is NOT a cattle boat and the guys there are tremendous. Plus, if you do some dives with the 7-mile beach Red Sail, you can still get the "volume discount" by using Rum Point.

RS Rum Point does a lot of the great wall dives of the North Sound, and if lucky as I was in my last visit, you can get a Hammerhead sighting! I've dived with them each of the last two years (along with Ocean Frontiers - LOVE them!!).

caymancase once bubbled...
There are many good one's to choose from that limit the amount of divers that they take out on trips. 8 divers or less per trip. Danny at Off The Wall Divers, Tom at Cayman Marine Lab and, ME, Casey at Neptune's Divers are 3 good one's to choose from...

I agree with Casey..... avoid the big operators and their cattle boats, and dive with someone who specializes in smaller groups. Since you're staying on Seven Mile Beach, you probably will want to use an operator on that side of the island. If you try one of the east side operators, you will be facing a long drive (30+ minutes in the morning) from your hotel to the boat dock. When I'm on holiday, the last thing I want to do is deal with is a long commute.

In July I dove for 3 days with Tom at Cayman Marine Lab. We had between 4 and 8 divers on the boat each day. We dove on the north wall all 3 days, which has some awesome sites. When diving north they leave from and return to the Yacht Club. If conditions are too rough on the north side (which they may be in January) then they dive sites on the west or south side. One thing you should do before choosing a dive operator, is to find out what area or sites they typically visit during the time that you will be there.

One interest fact about CML is that Tom is a Ph.D. in Marine Biology, and during the surface interval between dives, he will present a mini-lecture on some interesting aspect of the local sea life. A great way to learn some more about the things you're looking at on the reefs.

Have fun in Cayman and dive safe!

Timothy Randall once bubbled...

Tim

Rent a car and get arounf to the East mate - that's where the Diving (with a capital D) is...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom