Grand Caymen which part of island to stay, info needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Murphy in NC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey Y'all,

I will be taking family to vaca on Grand Caymen.

I will be bringing my dive partner son and non diving wife.

Georgetown sounds too crowded and busy.
West Bay sounds a little better and Rum point sounds great however may be to far away from diving sites and good restaurants.

Are there any grand caymen experts out there that can give some insight?

I will try to help! We will be taking our 8th trip to the Caymans in fall spending a week on Grand Cayman and a week on Little Cayman.

A lot depends on your budget, the time of year you want to travel, and the non-diving interests of your family and non-diving wife.

In general, I suggest staying away from Georgetown because it gets so crowded especially when the cruise ships come into port. An exception to this would be Sunset House. It is south of Georgetown and they don't have much of a beach but they do have a house reef for shore diving and an onsite dive op. I believe that breakfast is included but you would have to eat out twice a day and that can get expensive. I have never stayed there but we have visited Cathy Church's Photo Shop and Gallery onsite and if you are photographers you will enjoy visiting.

Whatever part of the island you pick, I recommend an apartment or condo. You'll get more space and you can make simple meals twice a day and go out for a nice restaurant meal once per day (or order a pizza) and that keeps down costs and saves vacation time. Mixing some of your own drinks also saves a lot of money. Also having an ensuite washer and dryer (or access to an onsite coin-op laundry) means that you don't have to pack as many clothes.

No matter where you stay I also recommend getting a rental car. Rental car prices are pretty cheap and there's a lot to see and do on GC, it makes it easy to get to and from the airport or to do grocery runs, and you will have the freedom to explore the island. But you will have to be willing to drive on the left side of the road.

I recommend bringing a GPS with you, we use an old Garmin GPS and car charger and it helps a lot - especially when navigating the roundabouts or negotiating the narrow, angled, one-way streets of Georgetown. Some people download Google Maps before they arrive on the island and have had luck using them for navigation but I haven't tried that. You don't want to burn up cellular data or accrue roaming charges.

Seven Mile Beach is very popular and very pricey and if your non-diving spouse loves beautiful white sand beaches and gorgeous turquoise water (and who doesn't?) then it is the best choice - but it can be very expensive, especially during the high season; and the hotel beaches can get crowded during the busy season.

We stayed at the Comfort Suites on 7MB on one of our early trips to GC and it was okay but we didn't go back. The beach was small and crowded but the rooms are suites and offer some meal prep and extra sleeping area for your son so that might work.

If you can afford it, some of the condo complexes on 7MB are very nice and the beaches are not crowded and they offer daily maid service. Places like the Caribbean Club, Discovery Point, and Christopher Columbus - I've never stayed there, I've just heard good things.

They've just opened a new Margaritaville Resort in West Bay and they might be offering special prices to launch the new facility. I don't think that they are on the beach but have beach access, but I am not sure. It might be worth checking out.

Sunshine Suites is a very popular choice. It is across the street from 7MB but you will have access to the amenities of the Westin Hotel and their beach area. They offer both suites and apartments and are considered a more economical option than some of the properties directly on 7MB.

Keep in mind that many of the 7MB hotels and resorts charge a daily resort fee per person, and that adds to the overall costs.

Some folks that want to stay near (but not on) 7MB go north in West Bay to areas near Macabuca. There are several condos in that area but most are on ironshore not beach - but offer good snorkeling.

Staying at a resort that offers an onsite dive op is ideal but most of them are away from 7MB and may not be as attractive to the non-diver, they include Sunset House (already mentioned), the Wyndham Reef on the East End, and Lighthouse Point (and Holiday Inn), and Cobalt Coast on the north end of West Bay above 7MB.

With the exception of Sunset House (which I've heard mostly dives the west side which isn't the best IMO) they are all pretty remote and require some driving to get to restaurants or grocery stores. Cobalt Coast is offering some good specials (see the link below) but it is a no frills kind of place and quite remote from other attractions, see the link below: Dive Packages

There are some very nice properties on the East End and North Side like Morritt's, Wyndam Reef, The Retreat, and Cayman Kai, but they can be pricey and they are far away from most everything. Plan on a 45 to 60 min drive one-way to the most popular attractions, restaurants, larger grocery stores, and shopping.

We like to stay in the middle of the island with easy access to most areas. We stay at the Turtle Nest Inn in Bodden Town and if you want a condo they also manage the TNI Condos next door. Bodden Town is a more residential and suburban area. It is not near the big attractions but it isn't that far away either. It's about 10 to 12 miles from Georgetown and the 7MB so you will have to drive but a rental car comes with the reservation. It is a small, family-owned operation, not luxurious but clean and nice and well-maintained, and the staff are lovely.

We stay in a one-bedroom apartment at TNI with a full kitchen and I think that the sofa is a sleeper. I recommend beachfront or oceanfront because you may hear noise from the street if you stay in an oceanview apartment. We get daily maid service (except Sunday) and access to a coin-op laundry. If you stay in the TNI condos next door I believe you will have more room and an ensuite washer and dryer (and a dishwasher?) but not daily maid service.

Another thing that we like about TNI is that is has a nice, quiet little beach (not the 7MB but quite lovely) and good snorkeling right out front. The entrance can be a little rocky but not bad and there is some turtle grass but it isn't terrible and the snorkeling is really good and so very easy.

There are lots of very good dive ops on GC. TNI has made arrangements with DNS Divers to service their guests, but you can do some research and pick the dive op of your choice.

If you stay on 7MB many will pick you up on the beach or in a van and transport you to the marina. If you have a car you may have to drive to the marina to meet the boat. Just make sure that you won't be put on a boat that will also service the day divers from a cruise ship.

There are also some good (and inexpensive) shore dives with onsite dive ops including Turtle Reef, Lighthouse Point, and Cobalt Coast. The Eden Rock and Devil's Grotto shore dives have taken a beating so they would be my last choice. I have heard that the house reef at Sunset House is also the worse for wear but I haven't checked it out.

We love Cayman, have a great trip!

Last edited:
Yeah what Kathy said....if you need any info on Turtle Nest Inn I would be glad to help....I am an owner there (condos) .
The trick to diving Sunset House from shore is surface swim about 100 yards to the left (east) when you enter the water as you approach the oil tanks start your dive there MAJOR difference ....you will be pleased .
I do Eden Rock/Devils Grotto on every trip get there early and be first in water on NO cruise ship days I always enjoy it.
Turtle Reef is always good!
Lighthouse point is also always good!
Cobalt coast is good and I enjoy it but seems more often than not the weather is a problem and that Longgggggggggg walk out .

Agree with all off the above, but if budget is not too much of a concern (and presumably you would not be choosing Grand Cayman if it were) then for a non-diving spouse I would recommend 7 mile beach. And the closer to the middle of SMB, the nicer the beach (although it's pretty great almost anywhere along SMB). As Kathy V suggested, you will do better renting a condo and the beach area will be much less crowded and finding a lounge chair much easier than a hotel, especially if your wife plans to hang out at the beach during the day like my non diving wife does. And even mid beach, you won't run into any cruise traffic. The condos and most of the hotels (and you might want to check this if you stay at a hotel) do not allow non-guests to use the facilities.

We stay at a condo across the street from the Foster's Supermarket/Strand Shopping Mall. The beach is great, food/liquor shopping is convenient, there are a lot of great restaurants and bars within walking distance, and it's only about a 15 minute walk to Camana Bay (for my shopping non-diving wife) where there are more good restaurants, book store, other shops, and a movie theater for the infrequent rainy day or night. And all the dive ops will pick you up, if needed. And assuming you have a car, you are about 7 minutes from downtown and about 7 minutes to lighthouse point (where I do most of my diving), and maybe 10 minutes to turtle reef/Macabuca.

Enjoy your stay!

They've just opened a new Margaritaville Resort in West Bay and they might be offering special prices to launch the new facility. I don't think that they are on the beach but have beach access, but I am not sure. It might be worth checking out.

Tiny nitpick here. Margaritaville is the refurbished Treasure Island Resort, on West Bay Rd in the southern end of the Seven Mile Beach area and well in the George Town district. It has beach access, but is not on the beach itself.

Rental cars are a very good idea. Non-diving travel companions may want the use of that car while you are diving. You may wish to consider dive ops that will pick you up. Most will.

KathyV summed up things well. We stay routinely in a Condo at the north end of 7MB near West Bay called Christopher Columbus which is reasonable by Cayman standards, is on a nice stretch of quiet beach, and close to both the West Bay Dock and the Yacht Club from which many of the boat dive ops leave. Most of the boat ops will pick up and drop off, but a rental car is a must and one of the few bargains left on GC. There is also a Fosters Food Fair nearby and you are only a few minutes drive from Turtle Reef and Lighthouse for shore diving.

Turtle Reef is a great shore dive, has a good op run by Sundivers and there is a nice bar ( Macabuca ) on site. My favorite way to spend an afternoon on GC is to go for a long leisurely shore dive there, rinse and dry off and then have a beer and snack at the bar and watch the sunset. Also a great site for night diving. The dive shop will leave tanks out for you if you have a tab open.

I personally stay away from Georgetown for all the reasons mentioned. Sunset House and Sunset Reef have seen better days and you are in the wrong area to easily dive north.

There are great experiences to be had on most of the island. West Bay, 7MB, Boddentown, Cayman Kai and East End all have their merits and it is hard to rank them. All depends on what you want out of your holiday.

We stayed here and loved it: CoCoCondo - Your Home away from Home in the Caribbean. Very large 3-bedroom townhouse, quiet property, a pool just off the back patio, large outdoor eating area with a grill. Beautiful sunsets. It was very easy to get around with our rental car to everywhere we wanted to go. It is very close to the West Bay dock and DiveTech's shop location, and we like to dive with DiveTech and DNS (who leave from West Bay). The ops won't pick you up from there, though, it is too far north. There is also a shore dive off the property that is one of the best dives we have done on Grand Cayman (Hepp's Pipeline). Duncan, the property manager, is also part of Stingray Sports and had tanks out there for us. We plan to stay there again on our next trip in 2018. Macabuca is right next door for great food and drinks and another great shore dive, as noted above. We stayed at the old Treasure Island Resort years ago (which was gross then, but also the cheapest option at the time) and it's a good location for being able to walk to beaches/shopping but we didn't like the beach we had access to off the property at all. We wound up walking farther north to the public beaches. Also, Sunshine Grill is a MUST for breakfast. Their pancakes and breakfast chicken tacos are amazing. We go 2-3 times every trip.

+1 for DNS, they are our go to as well.
+1 for Sunshine Grill. Very good burgers and fish tacos. Never had breakfast there.

DNS leaves the dock at 7.30 to increase access to the best sites, so we tend to grab a coffee and a muffin from Eats and then head for the boat.

Thank you

You all are great and the info is much appreciated.

So we will be staying at the Christopher Columbus. (Doctorfish glad you had good experience there)

I didnt think I could swing the Grand Caymen because of the airfare.
I know its not the cheapest Island

FYI, 400 round trip out of Raleigh. Its over 800 out of Charlotte and most other areas in the Carolinas.
The half price was nice as I am buying three tickets.

Thanks again.

Will now be researching dive sites and operators.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom