• Cayman Brac - Cayman Brac Beach Resort

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • Bonaire - Buddy Dive Resort

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 11.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Allie Hutch all of the places you've listed are great and hopefully you will eventually get to dive all of them (and many other great places, too!)

Cayman diving is more expensive than Bonaire but airfare to Bonaire is very pricey - so it may work out to be about the same.

Another thing to consider, Bonaire is below the Hurricane Belt so they are less likely to get bad storms than some of the more northerly Caribbean Islands.

So you might want to wait a bit and plan a Bonaire trip during Hurricane Season (June through November) - just a thought - the chances of getting hit by a hurricane are low, but it can happen.

Kathy, this is what they advertised and normally do. Not only there were no mesh bags when we showed up at check-in but also when I showed up at the Dive ops they were also surprised to see us because nobody had told them we were coming even though we had reserved over 6 months in advance. What did help is the fact that the person I talked to was a DM my wife and I met last year in Cozumel as part of another dive ops staff and we were all organized. Like I said nothing but praise for the establishment and dive ops.

I cannot speak for Bonaire or Cayman Brac, but my family has a timeshare on Grand Cayman. We dive exclusively with Ocean Frontiers, which is the company that owns Compass Point resort. They are a top notch PADI outfit, and within the last 6 months have taken delivery of two new custom Newton dive boats. As far as the resort, there is a small "beach" area in front of the resort, but they are close to a few public beaches, as well as right down the road from Morrit's and the Wyndham Reef Resort, both of which have beach areas and beachfront bars with good food. The restaurant at Compass Point (Eagle Rays), has good food as well. There are quite a few awesome food options on the East End of the island, obviously not as many as Georgetown or Seven Mile beach, but a decent selection. If you choose to stay on Grand Cayman, I would be glad to give you a few recommendations for places to eat, things to see, etc. I'm sure there are many people on this site that have plenty of recommendations as well! Happy Choosing!

I've dived all 3 islands and stayed at all 3 hotels/dive lodges.
IMO, they are all good but I would rank Brac > GC, Bonaire in terms of diving, valet service, peace and quiet.

There is very good shore diving on all 3 islands if the OP is interested. On Bonaire or GC, no good AI options apart from Cobalt Coast or Plaza Resort, neither of which would be my preference.

I have not stayed at Cobalt since long before the Tibbets family took it over so no recent personal experience. Reef Divers runs a very good dive op on Brac and LC so I assume the same would be true of their GC operation. Food at LC and Brac Beach resorts is pretty good as well. The shore diving at Cobalt is excellent when mother nature cooperates. The only drawbacks for Cobalt, IMO, are isolated location, ironshore waterline, and on the north so can be quite windy.

Thanks everyone! I ended up picking Little Cayman based on some of the comments here! I think everyone confirmed what I had found - I can't go wrong with any - and should eventually plan to do all of them!

Back
Top Bottom