Grand Cayman Shore Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bflem55

Contributor
Reaction score
One question I am staying at the Mariott located right by Georgetown and I was wondering if there any shore diving places close to that hotel??

Eden rock/Devils Grotta is a Photographers Dream Dive

Also just up the street from Eden Rock is Sunset House. You can do shore or boat dives from sunset House. There is also a place dive shop downtown with a wreck just out their back door for a shore dive and they do boat diving too.

None of the prior mentioned places are "close" to the Marriot. (3-5 miles min.) Which Marriott, the Beach Resort or the Courtyard?

There's no shore diving along Seven Mile Beach except for Cemetery Beach a few miles north. If you're going to drive there, I'd go a little farther to Turtle Reef (Sundivers) or Lighthouse Point (Divetech)

Most diveops won't let you take tanks off-site either. The one exception in that area is the dive store in West Bay.

Personally I'd skip Eden Rock, it's the closest dive to the cruise port and has been dove for decades so it's pretty tired. Lot's of broken coral, junk in the water. And jetskiers overhead when we were there. Sunset House is 2 mins. farther south and much better. And you don't really want to be downtown when the cruisers are roaming the streeets, driving is on the opposite side but most of them are oblivious.

And now doing my best Mod impersonation:

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Post moved to Cayman Islands forum

There is a shore dive immediately next to the turtle farm. The dive shop is right there. You can do night dives as they will leave tanks out for you, they have showers and dunk tank to clean your gear. I've done about 10 dives there, split between night and day and think it's one of the better dives. There's always a large group of tarpon next to a shallow cave. You will see everything from rays, turtles, octopus, eels, lobster, etc. You have stairs going down about 6ft to a channel about 3fsw deep and 20' wide for about 50' then it's a short swim to the buoy. You drop over the edge at about 20' into a cove going to about 40fsw-50fsw and make a left for the tarpon. To me it's worth taking a cab and I liked it as much as the boat dives. On one cruise that stopped there for a day we took a cab over there to dive. I may be a bit off on the depths but not by much. When you come back you can go slowly back to the channel using that as the safety stop and see alot more wildlife. If you go at night, hang a light on the buoy if your not comfortable finding the spot.

The new Divetech shore site is pretty good. The house reef at Cobalt Coast is great. Yes, you have to use their tanks, and yes, it's a cab (or bus) ride, but a great dive and the food at the resort is really good.

They have a guided night dive two nights a week and a one-way scooter dive (the op is Divetech.)

Don't forget "Cheeseburger Reef". The Lobster Pot Dive Center has opened up there where Bob Soto's Diving used to be. The dive is comparable to Eden Rock but without the crowds!
Lots of Tarpon and swimthroughs.
The Lobster Pot Dive Center
This is the closest shore dive location to the Marriott Beach.
Cheers, CJ.

I love the dive at the Cracked Conch. It's only a few miles up the road from your hotel. The op there is Sun Divers. They were helpfull and friendly on our last visit.

Back
Top Bottom