Grand Cayman moving a cargo port

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The latest numbers for the tourism industry came out today here in Cayman. Rod McDowall, president of the Cayman Islands Tourism Association (and my boss as head of Red Sail Sports Grand Cayman), reports that cruise ship business was up over 20% for the first four months of 2002 compared to the same period in 2001.

Despite this increase in cruise ship business, overall the tourism industry receipts are down about 15% compared to year prior.

The tourism industry has been hurting greatly since September 11, and many cruise lines have moved ships from the Mediterranean to the Caribbean. The proximity to the US gives the perception that the Caribbean is "safer" than travelling further abroad. Cayman's historical low crime rate has helped retain some business since perceived safety has taken on greater weight in vacation planning decisions.

The net result is that the island is more dependent on cruise ship business than ever before. In this political climate rash decisions can be made that have far reaching effects. The proposed East End cargo ship dock is but one example of the short-sightedness of local politicians.

So what can you do? Remember the power of the almighty 80 cents CI (dollar for the Yanks), and vote with your feet. Take advantage of the tourism industry's H2GO program and receive many discounts off your Cayman Islands vacations this summer. And while you are here be sure to let the Department of Tourism know that you are coming to dive and are concerned about possible damage to dive sites from proposed development.

The local paper published a large front page article about the cargo ship dock feasibility studies a couple days ago. The jist was that 1) the project is feasible; 2) It wouldn't add to cost of goods, and would probably actually lower cost of handling goods; 3) It would not add significantly to traffic; 4)Even though it wouldn't add to traffic, they should build a multi-million dollar bypass around Bodden Town; 5) The sun shines out of McKeeva Bush's :moon: ; 6) The project should be even bigger than previously proposed.

1) The project is feasible. :bonk: Cost effectiveness is not a part of determining feasibility. Yes, it could be constructed, therefore it is feasible was the logic presented.

2) It would lower cost of handling goods. Currently all cargo is trucked to the industrial park area near the airport, unloaded, and then distributed around the island. The proposed dock would have the space to unload cargo and sort onsite, thus eliminating one trucking step and probably saving money by reduced handling of goods.

3) It won't add to traffic. They plan to just run trucks into Georgetown during non-rush hour times. Yeah right! I am planning to only do dives with at least 2 shark encounters and a couple eagle rays each dive. Nice idea, but won't happen.

4) Build the Bodden Town bypass as well. I guess McKeeva must have a few more friends that are in the highway construction business. :cash:

5) McKeeva Bush apparently has never had a bad idea if you believe the feasibility study.

6) The project should be bigger. :deal: To make it all work, the port should be built by digging out a large inland area and a channel to connect it to the sea. Yup, build the port inland! Somehow this is supposed to alleviate the concerns of the dive operators?!? Other touted benefits are that it would be and all-weather port (except, of course, when ships can't approach the channel due to strong winds and heavy seas). Also, facilities to be built with this port will draw in the 200ft+ mega yachts making Cayman a new yachting center for the Caribbean.

Can't stop laughing but for the crying ;-0
Drew_Sailbum

I still have yet to visit Grand Cayman as a diver...sounds like I had better do it soon or I lose out!

As far as cruises go, I wonder if they realize how many of the cruise passengers pick the Western Carribbean because they want to DIVE these spots? I know of very few non-divers who pick this itinerary! (AT least, I steered all my non-diving clients away from it when I was a travel agent, as it offers not much in the way of what other Carribbean destinations do.) This also settles my debate for the all imprtant vacation idea next year...NO CRUISES! I'll just fly my happy rear end down to a specific island and enjoy it for a few days. (And I guess I should make it Grand Cayman before it's too late. After that, Turks & Caicos where no ships are allowed!)

Thanks for the updates! Keep them coming.

Kristey

It boggles my mind! I'm sad to say that my first exposure to the Caymans took place from a cruise ship! never happen again! I spent the day on your Island and fell in love however I am afraid that I really did not see the fabled Caymans because the real Jewel is underwater. Oh, I snorkled, but this trip was before my certification and I so wanted to dive deeper and deeper into the waters. I also, well......got bored on land! The turtle farm was great, and hell was cool, but hey, its an island and for a few politicians to think by adding more dock space for more non-divers on cruise ships makes very little sense to me! My experience with cruise ships is basicially cruising from one duty- free- store to the next, to the next island, again for the same duty-free shops! The real marketing should be toward the divers. The Caymans really didn't look like they were in dire need of cash flow either, How much cash would a new dock bring in? well, that just doesn't matter. I cannot even believe I asked! can't you just have a nice goverment overthrow or something? NO #@*&) DOCK!

I was fortunate to spend a week in Grand Cayman diving... It was probably the best week of diving I have ever had. We were fortunate to stay at a beachside villa development next to the old Holiday Inn (Villas of the Galleon).

Basically, while you are there, the trick is to avoid Georgetown when cruise ships arrive. If you are a diver, this is usually not an issue. The only time you dive near Georgetown from shore might be for a night dive in the grottos off the southern end of Gerogetown.

For all the money that is hidden there, prices are unbelievably high for basic necessities. Aside from finance and tourism, there is no other local industry. A new port might actually help in this regard, provided it is done responsibly.

A new port done irresponsibly should not be allowed. However, I think there is room for compromise. I am certain the island residents (not tourists) would benefit by a responsibly built port that takes all points of view into careful consideration. Hopefully, politicians will realize that water-based sports are a big part of the economy in Grand Cayman, and will try to find a solution that is considerate of these concerns. If not, hopefully the damage will be contained to only the area of the port and not all the other wonderful dive sites that surround the island. Even the worst case scenario wouldn't keep me from going back there to enjoy some great diving, but thats a personal opinion. Most of us have no say in the politics of Grand Cayman, but those who do should strive to reach a responsible compromise with their government.

Scubalnks,
There are definitely a few dive operators that would benefit (short term!) from more cruise ships. Generally the big operators. Personally as a small operator, the thought horrifies me. We take a maximum of 8 divers so that we can enjoy the diving, not watch bubbles and do 20 minute profiles. The last thing we want is thousands of divers kicking the coral, and cruise ships on top of us at Trinity Caves. Unfortuanately if the govt sees dollar signs it will go ahead regardless. It is not what we want ;-0
The more complaints to 'Big Mac' the better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom