Grand Cayman moving a cargo port

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TwoBitTxn

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I received my Undercurrent letter this past weekend and there was a blurb in it about Grand Cayman moving a cargo port to the East End at Half Moon Bay near the Blowholes. This was to accomodate more cruise ships. Projected affected dive sites are: Ironshore gardens, Maggies Maze, Kellies Caverns, Little House, Big House, Fantasy Land, and Crushers Wall.

Does anyone know anything else about this?

Tom

I spoke with the folks at the Cayman Diving Lodge and they are watching this situation closely as these dive sites are very close to their location. From what I gather, there is much opposition to this among the diving communitee, but who knows what will happen. Sometimes the almight dollar wins! I believe (per the Undercurrents article or maybe from Rodale's) you can contact officials and lodge your opposition. Check the archives from Rodale's on that one. Like you, I am HORRIFIED at this!

Trust me, very few people, even the non-diving locals are in favor of such action. The divers are worried about the dive sites and the others are worried about increased traffic thru the center of our island.

Just a few government officials that see dollar signs everytime a cruise ship pulls in.

It doesn't get much support here, or anywhere else for that matter, so hopefully it will peter out with time.

Chris

This has been in the works for quite some time. It smacks of Caribbean politics, and dollar signs are in the eyes of a few people.

So far...
  • the shipping company that is allegedly the force trying to move this through has already purchased a significant amount of land in the area of the proposed dock.
  • word around East End is that some other people (no prizes for guessing who) have made land purchases in the immediate area as well.
  • McKeeva Bush, one of the local politicos, supports the idea of bringing up to 14 cruise ships per day into Georgetown, even though the town is in gridlock when 5 ships are in port.

The proposed cargo ship terminal would decimate several dive sites, and likely have serious impact down-current in Frank Sound. Frank Sound, little more than spitting distance to the west, is a breeding ground for stingrays.

Further impact on land would result from routing the islands' incoming freight through residential towns enroute to Georgetown.

That is a terrible thought that G.C. might destroy diving area in favor of Pod people, I guess money talks, but it sure would be disappointing!
Caymaniac

This will be truly sad if it does indeed happen. Last time I was there we had one day where there was 3 cruise ships in at once and I thought that was just way to many for that little island. I could not even imagine any more then that at one time let alone up to 14. That will destroy allot of the reason why I like to go there. The locals are friendly for now but with that amount of people visiting the island everyday they are going to get sick of it real quick and probably really start to recent tourist of any kind. If they decide to do this then I'll have to be sure to make one last dive trip to G.C. before it turns in to Nassau.

And this is not the only depredation that GC faces from maritime industry.

On the planning board for the West Bay area over by the new dock are deep water moorings to be placed at ~300-400' and used to moor the bow & stern of large cruise ships.

Sites in this area include Big/Little Tunnels, Round Rock & Trinity Caves.

The Cayman Islands Tourism Association (CITA) met with McKeeva Bush, Minister for Tourism, Environment, Development & Commerce in late March to discuss the proposed installation of cruise ship moorings in the West Bay. It is very concerned on the effects of deep-water moorings on dive sites & on diver perception of the Caymans. Also discusssed were the long-term position of Grand Cayman as a cruise destination & the limits of how many visitors the infrastructure could accommodate without degrading the island. To date, Mr. Bush has not responded.

Stay tuned.

DocVikingo

Just returned from diving the east end in Grand Cayman. What a wonderful place for diving, so pristine!

I really hope that common sense will avoid this disastrous idea. The reefs in this area are just perfect diving grounds and the idea of loosing them because of cruise tourist makes me sick. :banging:

If anybody has some information how the diving community can help to avoid this move let us now!

Cheers

Ray

I don't suppose anyone has or can get an email address(es) of the person(s) we should be writing so we can let them know our displeasure at this idea.

Just curious though, how do most of the dive operators there feel about this? It seems to me they may stand to make more money if the changes take effect but that is just a guess so just curious if they are speaking out against or for it.

I love the Cayman Islands. I have been to GC twice but if they make these types of changes the only way I'd probably go back is to Brac or Little Cayman. I think GC is developed enough as it is. Any more would really ruin the place for me. On the odd days the cruise ships did come in the population swelled so much it was like being in downtown L.A. or something with the amount of people walking around Georgetown. I really enjoyed the early mornings there getting up taking a walk on the beach at sunrise then going in to town and just lazily walking around enjoying the calm. That just won't be possible if they add a ton more moorings to the place as everyday would probably be a cruise ship day then.

They surely can, Scubalnks:

Honorable McKeeva Bush - Minister for Tourism, Environment & Transport, Government Administration Building, George Town, Grand Cayman, B.W.I.
Phone: 345-244-2458
E-mail: jacui.bush@gov.ky

and

Mr. Arden McLean (Government Officer for the East End) - cteam@candw.ky

and

Department of Environment
P.O. Box 486 GT
Cayman Islands, B.W.I.
Phone: 345-949-8469

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Back