Grand Cayman in December

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A main advantage of diving in the east, is that the operators can go north or south, depending on the conditions, tremendous flexibility.

I have only dived with Ocean Frontiers, the best land based operator I have used. You can do 5 dives per day on Tuesday and Thursday, as they offer night dives on those days.

This thread has me thinking, I'm due for a return to Grand Cayman

That is very true, but I don't want to suggest that only East End dives ops have opportunities to dive other areas of the island. Cayman tourism likes to advertise "365 dive sites" one for every day of the year - and there really are a lot of options around GC and also the sister islands.

The dive ops on the west side of GC can go to the north wall or the west dive sites or they can head south, depending on the weather. The west side reefs are sometimes overlooked because the corals and walls are not as dramatic as the East End or the North Wall - but there are some very nice dives on the west - and you often have the best chance of calm weather on the West Side. The best shore dives are also on the west side. There's often lots of sea life on the west reefs and some great wrecks, too.

One of the most memorable dives that we did during our vacation last year was on the Oro Verde wreck. We had not visited that site in a long time but we had so much fun on that shallow dive. The wreck is even more disintegrated than I remember, but there was so much life on it and all-around! The weather was perfect and the lighting was gorgeous and it was really a nice dive.

Red Sail has been around forever. I first dove with them over 20 years ago. I thought they were affiliated with Hyatt but not sure about that.

I have decided on InDepth for at least 2 days. Then ocean frontiers for lion fish culling and a macro dive.

I like to stay with the same operator all week for 3 reasons
1) You get to know the boat and DMs, and vice versa
2) Discount for multiple days of diving
3) You can usually leave your gear with them

Yeah I do as well but I can’t get exactly what I want from only one operation this time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom