Grand Cayman Hurricane Charley

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nbdiver

Reaction score
I am heading to Grand Cayman next Wednesday and am concerned about the Hurricane's in the area, specifically Hurricane Charley. Anyone there now hearing whether or not this will be a problem for travel next week? Also, will it be a problem for dive coniditions next week? I will be really bummed if a rare Hurricane for Cayman hits when I am supposed to be there!

nbdiver:
I am heading to Grand Cayman next Wednesday and am concerned about the Hurricane's in the area, specifically Hurricane Charley. Anyone there now hearing whether or not this will be a problem for travel next week? Also, will it be a problem for dive coniditions next week? I will be really bummed if a rare Hurricane for Cayman hits when I am supposed to be there!

Looks like it will be gone by tomorrow (Thursday). It also looks like a weak hurricane, so I wouldn't worry to much about it.

I figured it was going to miss the Caymans but wondered what type of visibility problems it would cause. It also looks like it is going to bring quite a bit of rain. The forecast says rain almost every day I am there.

nbdiver:

I dont think it will affect the Caymans, I am schedualed there next weekend also. 21st-28th

Curt Bowen:
I dont think it will affect the Caymans, I am schedualed there next weekend also. 21st-28th

Curt, who you diving with while you are out there? I'll be diving with Ocean Frontiers on the East End. Have a good trip and hopefully we won't have any weather problems?

it's Hurricane Charley, right on course for the Cayman Islands.

On island we've been securing things and making preparations. This storm is still moving quickly but has been trending toward slightly slower forward progress. Looks like the full fury will be here Thursday in the morning.

Any rain forecast for Cayman for next week has absolutely nothing to do with Charley. Typical for this tiem of year is occasional squalls which come up and blow through in a few minutes. Nothing to be concerned about.

Drew Sailbum:
it's Hurricane Charley, right on course for the Cayman Islands.

On island we've been securing things and making preparations. This storm is still moving quickly but has been trending toward slightly slower forward progress. Looks like the full fury will be here Thursday in the morning.

Any rain forecast for Cayman for next week has absolutely nothing to do with Charley. Typical for this tiem of year is occasional squalls which come up and blow through in a few minutes. Nothing to be concerned about.

for a projected path (as of 11am today) take a look at:
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ftp/graphics/AT03/refresh/AL0304W+GIF/111508W.gif

...it will miss the Caymans (and be gone by the weekend enyhow)...enjoy your diving !

stu_in_fl:
...it will miss the Caymans (and be gone by the weekend enyhow)...enjoy your diving !
You got a funny idea about what it means for a hurricane to miss.

This thing is spewing Tropical Storm forces winds 115 miles from its center and it is forecast to strengthen. It doesn't have to get very close to really mess up your day. Latest forecast track is for the storm center to pass about 40 miles east of GC.

Drew Sailbum:
You got a funny idea about what it means for a hurricane to miss.

This thing is spewing Tropical Storm forces winds 115 miles from its center and it is forecast to strengthen. It doesn't have to get very close to really mess up your day. Latest forecast track is for the storm center to pass about 40 miles east of GC.

yeah...after pressing "post", I realized I was looking at the Bahamas not the Caymans...ooooops
..so should be going nearby in several hours....by the weekend should be FL/SC (but who knows what damage will be caused in itz path) - itz now classified as a hurricane.

I was thinking the Caymans were a little farther south, but no.

They will take a direct hit, but at least it will only be a catagory 1, and not like the catagory 3-4 that hit them a couple years back.

I am sure there will be some damage, but they should come out of it OK.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom