Grand Cayman (hotel, dining, dive op recommendations, etc)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubatooth once bubbled...
drew

sorry for so many questions but a couple of others have come up

any wrecks on GC

also besides tortuga divers are there any good ops you could recommend for 7mb, also are there any ways to get to the east side without renting a car (because i would like to make a day trip out to east side to dive and maybe meet you(if schedules allow))

thats all i can think of for now its almost 2:30 in the morning in texas and i need to go to bed.

later

Relatively few wrecks on GC, and all the good ones are on the west side. Doc Paulson, David Nicholson, Oro Verde, Balboa, and the Cali are the most commonly dived wrecks. A few are deeper in the tech diving range.

There is a public transportation system, but there is no discernable schedule. Downtown to East End village is usually $4CI, and you might possibly be able to get the driver to continue on to Morritt's for another $1. Getting back could require alternative means. People do hitchhike regularly all around the island.

Good ops on the west side? Red Sail is good but can be crowded on days with many cruise ships in port. Check the port schedule! Small boat operators are popular with many. CHeck out Casey at Neptunes Divers or Danny at Off the Wall or Nick at Red Baron

I was in Grand Cayman a couple of years ago and stayed at the Coconut Harbor which is on the south side of Georgetown. The hotel is old and small, but the rooms were clean and had kitchenettes.
There is good shore diving 24/7 from the hotel. SHore diving is just a short walk from your room. Treasure Island divers was the dive operation on site and provided the tanks for shore dives. They provide you with a dive locker at the hotel. The Blue Parrot is the restaurant/bar on site and the food is good and the prices are reasonable. Georgetown is a short walk from the hotel.

busted once bubbled...
I was in Grand Cayman a couple of years ago and stayed at the Coconut Harbor which is on the south side of Georgetown. The hotel is old and small, but the rooms were clean and had kitchenettes.
There is good shore diving 24/7 from the hotel. SHore diving is just a short walk from your room. Treasure Island divers was the dive operation on site and provided the tanks for shore dives. They provide you with a dive locker at the hotel. The Blue Parrot is the restaurant/bar on site and the food is good and the prices are reasonable. Georgetown is a short walk from the hotel.

While it was a longtime favorite, The Blue Parrot and Coconut Harbor were wiped out by storm surge during Hurricane Michelle (Nov 2001).

Still lots of good shore diving on that stretch south of Georgetown. Sunset House, Seaview, the new Don Foster's location, Abanks, and Eden Rock all have dive shops on site with easy shore diving.

Back
Top Bottom