Grand Cayman East End -- The Reef Resort vs. Compass Point...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

large_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
Planning a trip to Grand Cayman in March 2006. We plan to dive with Ocean Frontiers. Trying to decide whether to stay on site at Compass Point or at the Reef Resort (10 minute shuttle ride away). Compass Point is certainly easier since you are steps away from the dive boat dock...Reef Resort looks a little nicer from their web-site. My wife may not dive every day, so trying to decide if the RR is a better place to hang out if not diving.

So...anyone familiar with both Compass Point and the Reef Resort? +/- for each?

Thanks.

Chris

The reef resort is a better place for hanging out.Very nice series of swimming pools, beach bar etc.Used to have great snorkelling under the dock at the adjacent Morritts Tortuga Club before Ivan demolished it! Compass Point looks very nice (although I have never stayed there) but is very quiet.
Are you renting a car? IMHO it is a necessity for the East End

We stayed at the Reef last summer mostly because we weren't sure Compass Point would really be open yet. So we just looked around Compass point when there to dive. You've already summed it up pretty well, Reef is a nicer place to hang out. More resorty, nice freeform pool, hot tub, beach bar, big beach and you can stroll the beach for a bit in both directions (in front of Morritts one direction, the Reef condos/construction the other.) Pretty nice snorkeling off the beach. At the time anyway, thought the restaurant stank and service was worse, food at Morritts was better.

Compass point is quite nice but a more functional sort of place. Small beach but it's certainly a place to sit, don't know what swimming/snorkeling is like off their beach. Pool is functional, more designed for dive training rather than a place to relax by a pretty pool. Don't think there's a hot tub. Certainly a very nice dive hotel, though it needs some character - like a beach bar to hang out and tell fish stories or something.

The most important difference may be the convienience for diving. We only did morning dives (didn't think to book afternoon ahead, and they were full.) They took care of our gear very well and getting picked up to dive each morning really wasn't much trouble, and we had a nice resort to hang out in the afternoon. If I was diving in the afternoons as well, going back and forth definitely would have been a pain at best, rushing back and forth and trying to get something to eat.

I would agree with Damselfish, my wife and I stayed at Compass Point with our two children in August of this year. We stayed in a one bedroom, the kids slept in the murphy beds and they loved it. My son and I dove while my wife and daughter blissfully read dozens of books on the beach and by the pool. If a non diver is involved and cost is not a factor then I highly recommend the Reef Resort. We stayed the Reef Resort back in 2003 when our flights and week at Morritts didn't quite line up. The Reef could be a described as a Resort that has diving, while Compass Point is a dive resort. The pool at the Reef is great definately a highlight while the Compass Point pool is for function, training, and is often off limits to non-divers because of the classes.

Like Damselfish said Compass Point needs someplace to bring the tennants together when they are not diving like a bar or such. My wife and I don't really mind because we meet people and there are so many great restaurants on the island, it would just be nice to have a gathering place. Hope this helps. Definately reserve your spots early with OF, especially the 3 tank safari, they fill quick that time of year.

The Reef Resort by far is a nicer resort to "hang out" at. My husband and I have stayed there 4 times. We looked at Compass point and like someone said it is a "Dive Resort".

The ammenities at the Reef are far superior with much nicer pools, hot tubs, bars and a restaurant on site. The ride to the boats is no more than five minutes and I also recommend to definetely rent a car and book all of your dives early. It is much easier to cancel a dive than to try and get one added.

You won't regret diving with Ocean Frontiers IMO they are by far one of the best dive operations around.

Enjoy your trip.

Thanks for all the posts on this.

Even though I did not make the original post.

I had the same question.

Funny enough....after discussing all this feedback with the wifey, she wants to stay at Compass Point....wanting this to be a diving-focused vacation. :14:

Thanks again for all the comments.

large_diver:
Funny enough....after discussing all this feedback with the wifey, she wants to stay at Compass Point....wanting this to be a diving-focused vacation. :14:

Thanks again for all the comments.

Just be sure to get a rental car. You'll want one whether you stay at Compass Point or The Reef.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom